An easy way to get her off the bottle and on a sippy cup?

My daughter is going to be 14 months on the 20th. We only give her milk when she takes her nap at 1-4, and when she goes to bed at 9. During the rest of the day she gets juice and regular food.

cleverusername

Asked by cleverusername at 10:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Is she using the sippy cup during the day?
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 10:19 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I quit putting anything good in my daughter's bottle at 13 months old. I would put water in it. If she wanted milk or juice, she had to use the sippy. If she wanted her bottle, she could have water. She quickly quit using the bottle.
    FriendlyJas

Answer by FriendlyJas at 10:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My son had a problem going from the bottle to the sippy cup. If she likes straws I would try a straw sippy cup. I had to play a game the first few times before he finally would take it. I would act like I was giving it to me then take it away real fast, he thought it was funny. But when he finally "grabbed" it he took it. I slowly quit doing that and he now takes the straw kind just fine. Good luck and I hope this helps.
    caglecruz06

Answer by caglecruz06 at 10:22 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Nysa, she only uses the bottle.
    cleverusername

Answer by cleverusername at 10:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I used the nuby sippy cups, they have a kit that takes a baby from a bottle to a cup it has like 3 diferent tops. HOnestly I just used the cup, but the kit looks really cool.
    My sis in law used the nuby cups too. the spout is really soft and easy to use.
    bluesubaru

Answer by bluesubaru at 10:24 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I had to try lots of different types of sippy cups before I found one that my son would take. I ended up finding out that the "take-n-toss" cups worked for him.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 11:45 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I don't remember the name of the ones I found, but they had the soft tops that were very similar to the nipple of a bottle. I gave that to my son at meals first, then naps, and eventually he used the cup constantly. Good Luck!
    cjzmom

Answer by cjzmom at 2:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Oh, yeah, I got the cup at Walmart; I think it was Nuby. Less than $4.00.
    cjzmom

Answer by cjzmom at 2:35 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I am having some what of the same issue with my son. He takes the sippy cup during the day really well. However, when it's nap time or bed time he wants his bottle. I would suggest introducing the sippy cup during the day with milk or juice. As far as nap and night time I am in the same boat with you. Hopefully he will let go of the bottle soon.
    sowens0821

Answer by sowens0821 at 10:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Cold turkey. That was the only way with Boogie. If you try this way be prepared for fits, screams, or nothing at all! I've always used Gerber cups 'cause if they get thrown to the ground the valves stay in place and don't leak. Good luck!
    gothmomx10

Answer by gothmomx10 at 6:08 PM on Jul. 16, 2008