my son is going on four in july and he is still not potty training someone told me he may be scared of the toilet is that possible?

what can i do to make potty training exciting for my son?

ms.hotmom21

Asked by ms.hotmom21 at 2:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• It's just not something easy to get excited about...for anyone.

Is he scared of the toilet? You would know...does he run and hide when you go, when you flush? Don't count public toilets...my trained 4 year old can't handle public ones...but he has sensory issues. They are nasty loud!

If not, then it's a matter of introducing to him what is expected. He's a big boy now...big boys go potty before a shower, they go potty before bed, before leaving the house, when returning to the house, etc. These are just things that are expected. So start making them part of his daily routine at first as an introduction. Not so much that he pees right away, but he's expected to sit (or stand) and try.....(we started with sitting to a count of 10 lol)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You can go to youtube and look up the potty training song. My kids all loved it and it got them interested in it. You can also add things like incentives for using the potty. I always got gummy bears of m&ms and if they tried to use it then they got some candy. I also used a chart with stickers and let them choose which sticker to use to show they went potty. After so many stickers they got a reward. I also let them choose their own underwear and made it something cool. My dd will be 4 in feb and she chose disney princess & dora underwear. Then I would say now dont pee on them bc you like them. stuff like that & most of all be consistant.

Answer by gemgem at 2:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Boys ARE harder to train than girls, when he's ready, he'll be ready! Forcing it now, means a longer "fight" and frustration for both of you. Waiting until HE shows signs of readiness....not liking be wet/stinky, holding himself, watching you, etc. will make it training faster/effective.

Make it a game! Reward even just sitting on the toilet with stickers, special treats, etc. Talk about being a big boy like daddy/male relatives. Sing silly potty songs, read potty books to him, let him go through the other parts of the bathroom routine, like flushing, washing hands, even just taking a "tour."

Ditch the pull-ups and just have him wear "big boy underwear" in cool designs..Spider Man, Lightning McQueen, Dinosaurs, etc. Expect many accidents, but it will help reinforce going potty instead of in his pants! Use a minute timer and have him go every 20-30 minutes EVERY hour! Always talking/explaining WHY.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 2:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I disagree with pp - my son was much easier to train then my daughter. You have to be consistant- You have to do all the work - You have to make it fun! Potty training is your job, not really his. Be a potty cheerleader- super positive and upbeat- don't get upset or fear the accidents- just keep smiling and taking him potty every hour to 2 hours ever single day until he is trained. Good luck. BTW I really don't think kids get scared of the potty- just the flushing sound- if flushing freaks him out- you flush for him after he leaves the room at the beginning and work up to him trying to flush himself. I also suggest you get rid of pull-ups they delay training- when i start training we ditch the pull ups for real underwear.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• my son was excited when i took away his pants when we were potty training lol. he went around commando so it would be easier to just run to the potty when he needed to go. he only had a couple of accidents. i always let him know how happy and proud i was when he went potty. i gave him a hotwheels car every week he didn't have an accident and then after 1 month he got to pick out some big boy underwear (he picked diego, cars and thomas and sesame street lol). also, make a big deal about when u have to go potty. u might feel stupid but it made my son feel excited when it was his turn lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It is true that some kids are afraid of the potty, but I think you would know if that was your sons case. You would know by the way he acts what he says etc.
    Some kids just don't potty train this young. My son would not potty train until he decided to a 4 yrs 2 months. I was determined that he would potty train when he turned 3, I go rid of all his diapers. I tried EVERYTHING. His brother would pee in the potty for an m&m, this one wouldn't pee in the potty for a million bucks! I tired naked outside, change your own dirty pants, rewards, party, taking him to the potty every 10 minutes, you name it. He simply wouldn't do it until he wanted to.

maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 3:47 PM on Jan. 4, 2009