how long do you keep billing statements for?

trying to organize my file cabinet. I was wondering if anyone knows how long we keep bank statements, tax statements, hosiptal bills and common billing statements for?

bmwlover

Asked by bmwlover at 2:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• Anything tax wise needs to be kept for 7 years. I normally keep bank statement for 12 months and I keep credit card, doctor/hospital bills until I have paid them off + 6 months just to be on the safe side.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Anything other than tax related paper work, I try to keep for one calendar year.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 3:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• What I always did in the past is keep everything out in my filing cabinet for one year. At the end of that year when you file your income tax... take it all out and put it in a storage box. Label it and put this years tax return as well in there... Then file that box away. Only keep information for the present year in your filing cabinet.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 7:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2009