Infected Gums

Ok, so my gum is infected. I can't afford to go to the dentist but I have some anti-biotics I just started taking. The gum is really swollen. Should I steralize a needle and put a little hole in the gum to relieve some of the pressure and get the puss out?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Health

• An infection in your mouth can kill you. Get it treated NOW!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:23 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Oh god...just put it on a credit card.....seriously call a few docs I'm sure someone will work with you on billing.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 2:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Don't take chances with your gums and teeth. They are too near your brain and can cause serious problems. I agree, call around and see if you can set up some billing schedule. Please get help soon.

Answer by Bmat at 2:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I had an infected gum, and also did not have any money for a dentist. This is what I did:

I made sure to brush the area thoroughly, even though it hurt. I cleaned my mouth with Listerine EVERYTIME I ate or after I finished a drink (if you smoke, do it after you smoke too).

I took a q-tip, and put pressure on the pus pocket and completely drained it that way, and then cleaned again with Listerine.

It was cleared up within 4 days. I had given myself a week, and if it was not cleared up, then I would find a dentist, because those types of infections can be really dangerous.

Good Luck!
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Oh, and the "Just put in on your Credit Card".....that is why so many people are in debt and going bankrupt, because they "Just put it on their credit card" even though they can't afford it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I have excellent credit. Credit cards are for emergency. I think this is a situation that warrants its use. Geez Carol, hope you used up your self righteousness for the day.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 3:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I agree that putting it on a credit card is not the best answer, but not because of going into debt. I would hope and think that if someone had a credit card they could use then they would not be here asking this question. I know how this is, I have been in this position. Out here in South West Florida I have not found one dentist that works with you on payments. They tell you to try care one I think its called and if you are not approved then you are left with trying to figure out what you are going to do. Anyway, my advice would be to go to the ER. Also try looking for a dental school. Sometimes they will do minor dental work. If they can't help they usually can point you in the right direction. They are a wealth of knowledge that can help you out at a time like this. But, like I said start with the ER. They can also give you something for the pain.
    Hope this helps.
    craftykidsclub

Answer by craftykidsclub at 5:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009