Is this normal for a sick kid.

My son went to bed at like 9 or 9:30 last night and woke up this morning at about 8:30. He was really fussy and rubbing his eyes like he was still sleepy, so I put him back to bed at 9am it is now 12:30 and he is not awake. I'm starting to get scared. He never sleeps this much. Do you think that his body just really needs the rest because he is sick, or could I be overlooking something?

princessamber5

Asked by princessamber5 at 2:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know when I am sick I sleep a lot.

Make sure that when he is awake he is drinking fluids to stay hydrated.

If, when he is awake, he is acting lethargic (not just sleepy, but really kinda out of it) then you need to take him to the doctor.

Just keep an eye on him and let him sleep. he probably needs it.
    CarolynBarnett

Answer by CarolynBarnett at 2:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• He could be going through a growth spurt or a little sick. Sleep is the best thing he can do other than to keep hydrated. He has no fever above 103 so I would let him sleep.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 2:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Sick kids do tend to sleep a lot. Did he eat and drink something before you put him back down this morning? If not, I might wake him up to give him some fluids and to check his temp. You can always put him back down in an hour or so, and you probably feel much better having checked him out! Hope he feels better soon.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 2:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If he has a fever and is sleeping this much I'd call the doctor. Get him up and give him something to drink and maybe some soup. He is probably fine, but when I had little ones I would call the doctor.

Answer by Bmat at 2:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Well if you feel he is acting out of the norm...
    that is when they suggest you call the doctor and see whats going on,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I bet it is just because he is sick. If he is running fever or throwing up or has diarhea though he could be dehydrated. If he hasn't been to the doctor for this illness then you may want to call and get him in.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 7:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2009