What is a general way of figuring out if you can afford another baby?

blowingsteam

Asked by blowingsteam at 2:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• Factor in: daycare? if you'll have it, formula if you'll use it, diapers, wipes, clothes, food, all the baby essentials. I spend about 600 a month, thats with just the essentials.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 2:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Figure out what you would be spending monthly on diapers, formula (even if you plan on breastfeeding), daycare costs (if need be), other expenses such as clothes, health insurance, etc. Once you have a round about number, start saving that for 6 months and if you can do that then you should be able to afford another baby. Also, another thing to consider is your husband's and/or your job stability.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• LOL, at our house we figure out the math after the test comes back positive! Actually, it's always been a struggle financially but we manage and we think it's worth it. Alot of my co-workers go on about how it costs 180k to raise a child to the age of 18 these days, but we spent 78k for a house but didn't have to cough it all up at once :-) DH and I both work full time, the heat is still on, the kids are playing XBox right now, the baby gets fatter every day - good enough for me!
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 3:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2009