Normal labor contractions versus pitocin induced contractions

With my first son my water broke but I was not dilating so was given pitocin. After my epidural wore off I had the most horrible contractions and transition/pushing. I was wondering if anyone has had natural childbirth AND pitocin induced contractions without pain management. Was one worse(pitocin). I might do a natural childbirth this time as I know I can make it without pain meds but just wondered what others experienced.

Anubis8733

Asked by Anubis8733 at 10:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have only experienced Pitocin induced but my sister in law has told me that induced contractions are much worse than non-induced ones. She said the induced contractions were not only consistantly stronger but there is not as much of a break between them for you to relax enough to prepare for the next one.
    rasbneon

Answer by rasbneon at 11:42 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I agree the pitocin is aweful and should never be used ever! Why Isay this is because I have had it before and after birth I thought that what I was feeling was normal but it wasn't thank goodness my labotr was short. the time they gave it to me after I thought I was going to die. I couldn't get any relief in between and it was just bad! Yes go natural! I'm going to try my best to hold out a few more weeks so I can have my baby natural at home! check out the posts on welltellme.com they have lots of entries there that will help you. They are a Christian site!
    GarlicMom

Answer by GarlicMom at 12:33 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Yes, I've done both and I can tell you that my HARDEST natural labor (woke up in transition, very strong contractions that hit all of the sudden, AND the baby got stuck) was still not as bad as the Pitocin I had with my first baby. I'll be having my 5th baby in a few days, and doctors always seem to be trying to push Pitocin on me, but I will NEVER do that again!
    sioleabha

Answer by sioleabha at 2:47 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• i have a friend that has done both ans she says pitocin induced contractions are a million times worse and that she will never let them induce again...it it comes to it, she will just have a c-section...it was that bad...so if you made it through pitocin contractions, you should be fine with natural ones
    LoriaAnn

Answer by LoriaAnn at 3:37 PM on Jul. 16, 2008