• In the Spotlight:

would it be rude

to put "cltohes instead of toys" on my sons 2nd b-day invites? if i do put this how should i word it or should i just not put it at all? im snedning em out 2morow so i need adivce asap thanks

JrsMommy07

Asked by JrsMommy07 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just tell one really popular guest (for instance a loud cousin in my case). Just tell this person what you want and I am sure they will get the word out. Or you could do what I did. My daughter got 2389457328945 toys for Christmas, so I took some back and bought clothes. I told people not to go overboard because we just dont have the room. They did, so I exchanged.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• if he needs clothes and not toys then just tell people no one is going to think badly of what you think your son needs its best to get what he needs and not always what he wants. just word it as clothing would be the best gift he has a lot of toys
    Anonymous

• I think it might be rude because it suggests that you expect he is given a gift. If it is mostly family I would just talk to them about it on the phone. If it's friends, then just let them pick what they would like for him
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I don't think I'd feel comfortable telling people what to get my son for his birthday gift. People like to take the time to pick out something special they think the kids will like. Plus, is your son really gonna be that excited to open a bunch of clothes on his big day?
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 3:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you 'suggest' any type of gift with an invite may give your guests the idea that you are only inviting them for the gifts. You don't want others to feel used or not welcome, right?

I am wondering why you are asking for clothing for a 2 y/o birthday? I cannot imagine any 2y/o getting excited with opening a gift of clothes. Clothes may be what the child needs, but to exclude toys would be disappointing for the lil one.

You may wish to reconsider the plans....

If your child is in need of clothing....save the money that you would use on a big party and buy the child some clothes. Then have a small family gathering to celebrate the big day.

Or shop around at some second hand stores or even host a clothing swap with your friends that have kids the same ages. There are more inventive ways to get some nice clothes for the lil one than to ask for guest to give them as gifts.

hope that helps!

MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i would suggest that if they are bringing a gift to please make it a gift of clothing or a gift card. then, when they call to rsvp, explain to the mothers that as fast as kids grow nowadays and this close to Christmas, your child really doesn't need toys but that clothing would be much better in the end.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 5:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I wouldnt say nothing,

Its just kinda greedy
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I wouldn't say anything. It does seem greedy...like "I'm expecting gifts for my son and this is what I want you to bring"

Not that you mean that at all...but that is how it kind of comes across.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You should look it up in an etiquette book. It is my understanding that it is never okay to put something like that on an invite. Maybe hint to some close friends and they might put the word out.
    Anonymous

• yaa i would never tell ppl what to get my daughter..and to be 2yrs old and opening clothes??!!! thats nothing to get excited over..its his bday..he should be getting toys..or whatever HE wants..not what you need to buy him..thats just not right..at least wait to see what you get and then if need be, take the toys back and return them for clothes..
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 7:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2009