Is your teenager lazy?

My son still asks me to make him a drink or snack. He can do it himself but would rather have me do it. I am sick of being his maid! Plus now I have a one year old. I have tryed to just say no....but this kid would starve before he fixed his own sandwich. I feel guilty that I am making him do things himself but he will be an adult in 5 years. He need to learn.....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• Yeees thats the agee ! With my experiences when i wouldnt make him what he wanted he would eventually get so hungry he'd eventually get up and make it himself.
    Anonymous

• He's lazy because you still do things for him. He's obviously old enough, he'll eat when he gets hungry enough. Tell him NO!
    Anonymous

• It's called tough love Mom ; ) I have a 15 yo who has been extremely lazy over Christmas break. But that's kind of what vacations are for. But as far as them not wanting to make their own snack or getting a drink....I've been there. I told my son to starve....he got up off the couch later...but he left all his crap on the counter...LOL Oh well....pick and choose my battles -he's well fed but still a slob and school starts back in 2 days.....YEE HAW!!!!!
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 3:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Yup- my 14 yo step son is the same way! Never picks up, asks Dad to make his lunch or drinks. He doesnt ask me, because I tell him he has 2 arms and 2 legs. I do his laundry- I think thats enough! He is just now making his own bed.... YAY!
    danahj79

Answer by danahj79 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Did you notice that all 4 answers and now mine (!) are about sons??!! I have 2 daughters & one son. He's the youngest & I do "take care of" him....more than I did for them. I think girls like to find their own way & boys like to be taken care of. Is this what you find?
    calico22

Answer by calico22 at 5:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i have 5 kids and 3 of them are so freaken lazy!! i do everything for all my kids: cook,clean, make their food, etc.... thats what moms should do!!
    j-hunt

Answer by j-hunt at 6:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• j-hunt......I think Mom's should also teach thier children to be independant. He will be a man someday and I don't want him to rely on a woman to pick up his S*#t. I work and take care of a toddler that NEEDS me to fix his snacks and fill his sippy cup. My older son is asking me to do thing he can do himself.....
    Anonymous

• At that age they should do it for themselves, he won't starve, eventually he will eat. I mean I fix breakfast and dinner, if they are hungry in between they know where the kitchen is. I have no problem if I am fixing something for the younger ones, throwing a little more on for them, but I don't go out of my way.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 8:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I have 4 kids.... 2 of them are teenagers. A daughter that is 17 and a son that is 13, and they both are SOOOO lazy! They only do chores when they will benefit from it. Not do them cause they are supposed to, they do them if they want something. My son is the perfect example. His room is so nasty, we tell him to clean it up over and over, then he will ask to have company.... its so funny how it only takes him an hour to clean it then, when normally it takes him days!

TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 11:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It's funny that I just found this question, my 15 y.o SON just took a box of mozzarella sticks out of the freezer and asked me to make them for him! I just said get a cookie sheet and stick them in the oven. Of course he being a clown stuck the box and cookie sheet in the cold oven so that I had to tell him step by step but yeah he tries to get me to do stuff he could do on his own all the time!
    goaliemom93

Answer by goaliemom93 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2009