Fingernail PANIC!

My son Devon is a year and a half old. He Panics every time I try to cut his nails?? I don't really know what to do. I mean his father and I have tried making it fun, waiting until he's half asleep lol and even giving him cookies. Nothing works. He will scream, kick, and the saddest part is cry. I'm clueless.

DevonWmommy86

Asked by DevonWmommy86 at 3:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are truly not alone! Some kids manage this task without a flinch, but most act like your child.

I have one of each! LOL

My oldest is a real screamer! I cut my nails first and let him watch. I then cut my other son's. We laugh together and act like it is tickling. I cut and say...tickle, tickle. He laughs and it breaks the tension.

When it comes time to cut the 'screamer's' nails...I place him on my lap to be able to reach all of the nails and to be able to hold onto him if he tries to flee...LOL I reassure him that it is ok and we each have already done it.

With practice and routine it does get easier. Just try to reassure and make a game out of it.

hang in there!
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 3:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Will he let you file them?? If you haven't tried that, I would see if he lets you do that.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 3:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I hate to say it....but my dd who is 2... I will put something on TV for her to watch. I do the same thing when it is time to do her hair. Most of the time it helps distract her. I still do the same thing with my 5 year old ds.
    catiesmom411

Answer by catiesmom411 at 3:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My DS loves to get his nails cut- always has...My DD HATES it- the only thing that worked when she was really little was to give her something to play with in the other hand, or a snack- also TV on. I also filed when nothing else worked. Now she is 2 1/2 and the only way is to brib her with a few m&m's or that I will give her a little of my hand lotion : )
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• my 15 mo. old won't sit still long enough unless I turn on Yo Gabba Gabba and give him the file to hold. Then I work quickly!
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 5:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Just try to distract him with your voice,...

SAY omg look at that...and let him look at his nail and let him see what your actually doing!

My dd never had that problem,

But she does have a problem when i cut her bangs lol
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 5:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• ASK HIM TO BITE THEM OFF. AND KEEP BABY OIL ON THEM TO KEEP THEM SOFT SO THEY DONT GROW TOO MUCH
    KEYWEA

Answer by KEYWEA at 5:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Do it while child is sleeping
    aubrees_mommie

Answer by aubrees_mommie at 6:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Okay...seriously, I have to still do this with my 4 year old.....

Just when I'm ready to snip the first nail...I say "here we go. It's going to tickle, tickle.." then I snip.

He giggles through the rest of the cutting!

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Try cutting his nails after bath time. The nails will be nice and soft so you can do a quick snip and if necessary peel the rest of the nail off. Try singing to him while you do his nails. Something soft and soothing. My twins have always found the alphabet song soothing for some reason so I sing that to them when I cut nails. I also cut their nails while they're on the changing table.
    Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2009