Do you let your children drink coke?

I don't want my child when he is growing up to drink it, but my husband drinks it all the time. I'm afraid I won't be able to keep my child from drinking sodas because daddy does it.

bluelady27

Asked by bluelady27 at 3:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• Soda is not healthy for kids...it doesn't matter what your so is drinking- your kids can and should be simply told no. There are things that are appropriate for adults and for children- they are very different things. My oldest is 4 yo and never has touched soda & will not until he is much older.
    Anonymous

• only a few sips
    butterscotch297

Answer by butterscotch297 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i just tell my boys is a daddy drink and thats it.
    rosepetalluv

Answer by rosepetalluv at 3:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Only every once in awhile.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 3:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My kids only get it every once in awhile. As long as your not giving it to them as a supplement for milk then theres no harm! lol
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 3:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Short Answer: NO
    How I got around it? I used to buy orange soda on sale for 50 cents, pour it out, and mix 100% frozen orange juice concentrate with carbonated water. That was for my older son after he started school and saw soda at his friend's houses. He believed it was real soda for a lot longer than I expected. He didn't have an actual Sprite until he was over 10 years old, lol. I only allowed it on special occasions, like parties. With my two-year-old, so far, I tell him that soda is a "grown-up" drink and give him a cup of milk or water most of the time. It's working so far.
    DeTora_Family

Answer by DeTora_Family at 4:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• on special occasions (holidays/birthdays)
    TempestRayne

Answer by TempestRayne at 4:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My son only gets soda of any kind at his father's. I don't drink the stuff and I don't allow it in my house. My son, 3 1/2, know that it's okay with daddy but not with mommy - and I tell him the truth - it's not good for his tummy or his body and won't help him grow big and strong. That's all my son wants to do, grow big and strong. I also teach him about eating healthy and what foods are good and what foods are bad and why...it's all part of teaching him how to make good choices.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 4:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Nothing with caffeine and nothing with phosphorus (interferes with calcium absorption- that is tooth and bone development. (including coke, pepsi.) I encouraged water and milk.

Answer by Bmat at 4:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My four year old only gets to drink Sprite, or Seirra Mist, it has no caffiene and its not colored so im not worried about it dying her teeth. She only gets it if we go to mcdonalds or something I do buy soda but she knows that she cant have it bc it isnt the "kid kind".
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 4:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009