Toddler with diarrhea-- home remedies anyone? ( yeah, obviously TMI) adult content

My 2 1/2 yr old is suddenly having some diarrhea issues. She seems fine otherwords, no fever, no vomitting, she even says her tummy feels fine-- but then she has no control of her BM and they are significantly looser than normal. iIt was the worst the first day and has become less frequent, but she still has no control over it. I should add she normally has very good control and we've considered her potty trained for a while now. I'd rather not rush to medication. Are there any simple little remedies I could try before resorting to Dr visits and medication (especially since it's her only symptom)

earthmama727

Asked by earthmama727 at 8:29 PM on Oct. 2, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Start the BRAT diet. Bananas, Rice, Applesauce and Toast. It should make her more solid. If it lasts longer than a couple of days even with the diet, call the doc.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:31 PM on Oct. 2, 2011

• I agree with the BRAT diet, but really, it just has to work itself out. There is something in her tummy that has to come out, it will take as long as it takes. Usually just a few days. Good luck! Keep giving her water.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:43 PM on Oct. 2, 2011

• Brat Diet as PP said and make sure your lo stays hydrated.
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:46 PM on Oct. 2, 2011

• I agree with the BRAT diet, and in addition to water, try Pedialyte. With multiple episodes of diarrhea, the body starts to lose electrolytes...potassium, sodium, magnesium, etc, and the Pedialyte will help to replenish those and keep her from becoming dehydrated. If after implementing the diet and it's several days later & she is still having diarrhea, then a visit to the MD would definitely in order. With a tummy bug it's best to let it pass on it's own, stopping the diarrhea with medication just causes the problem to last longer than it normally would, but a tummy bug usually lasts only 24-48 hours, possibly 72, but then its usually over.

Im1superduperrn

Answer by Im1superduperrn at 9:15 PM on Oct. 2, 2011

• One other question, has there been any recent changes in her diet? Sometimes if there have been recent changes in what a child has been eating it will upset their digestive system until they adjust to the changes...for example, if a child that normally doesn't eat a lot of fruit starts eating fruit on a daily basis, this will cause them to develop diarrhea for a few days until their system adjusts.
    Im1superduperrn

Answer by Im1superduperrn at 9:19 PM on Oct. 2, 2011

• She actually usually eats tons of fruit. The only dietary change i can think of is that she's recently cut down significantly on milk. She just finally gave up her bottle, but seems to have given up milk with it.

At risk of sounding like a complete idiot, are Gatorade & Pedialyte pretty much the same thing? Not sure if pedialyte maybe has less sugar or something... I just know we still have some Gatorade in the house from a recent camping trip...
    earthmama727

Comment by earthmama727 (original poster) at 12:23 AM on Oct. 3, 2011

• The Gatorade will do the trick, but it does tend to have more sugar than needed. But it will work.
    hootie826

Answer by hootie826 at 11:01 AM on Oct. 3, 2011

• I would try to give her some Pedialyte and give her bananas, toast, different things with grains.
    Panic.Switch

Answer by Panic.Switch at 1:01 PM on Oct. 3, 2011