baby spit up

is there anything I can do about my little guy spitting up. He's on breastmilk and he spits up a lot after he eats, he also has a lot of gas... I'm not sure what to do for him

Zacherysmommy08

Asked by Zacherysmommy08 at 3:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Gripe Water for the gas...it is good stuff. It also helps with burping. As for spit up...some babies just do it more than others. I found a slower nipple and not over eating helped with mine.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 3:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Well for the gas there are Milicon Drops, it could be from Colic as well...you can try Colic Calm... heres some info on it: http://www.coliccalm.com/
    angieluv

Answer by angieluv at 3:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I can't make my boob slower.... LOL just joking! it does seem to only happen when he eats out of a bottle, but I'm not one of those women that are comfortable feeding their baby out in public on their boob..... So he eats from a bottle. And what in the world is Gripe water? I have the gas drops and they don't seem to be doing anything
    Zacherysmommy08

Answer by Zacherysmommy08 at 3:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If your letdown is fast at first you can start by pumping for a minute then feeding him- you may just be giving him too much to quickly & he can't keep up- store the milk and save it for another day : ) Also never underestimate a good burp- rub babies back in a circular motion- never tap- especially if baby has a tendency to spit up. Also try keeping baby upright for 20 minutes after each meal to make sure all milk gets past all the way to tummy. If it gets worse I would def talk to ped about it- it could be a mild case of reflux.
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My son spit up horribly until he was about 9 months old. I found that putting a little cereal in the bottle helped a lot. If he seems to spit up more when he takes a bottle, I would definitely try this. But instead of the the rice cereal, get the oatmeal cereal. My son had bad gas also, and my doctor said to use oatmeal instead because the rice is more prone to causing constipation.

As for the gas, definitely try the Gripe Water. I used this with every feeding and it worked wonders! I felt better using this rather than the Milicon drops because the Gripe Water is all-natural. Good luck and be patient...it will end soon!! :-) Any other questions, just ask...I went through this exact thing with my little one so I know how you feel!!
    HeatherLeigh

Answer by HeatherLeigh at 6:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• There's not too much you can do about baby spit up. Babies will spit up a lot for the first few months because the valve that keeps everything down isn't strong enough. Try keeping your baby upright for like 20 minutes after a feeding. The cause of gas could be a few things. Check your diet and see if the times that you eat certain foods are when he has more gas. I couldn't eat very much bacon and a few other things when I was nursing my little one. If he tends to have gas when he eats only from a bottle its just like any baby, more air gets in with the milk than breastfeeding.
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 6:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Poor baby. Is he eating too mch at once?
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 9:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2009