Every time I feed my daughter food that I make she don't eat it unless you feed it to her, she is 3 yrs.old. And I can't feed it to her when I am feeding my 9 month old son. So what should I do?

When I do my cooking I always give my 3 yr. old daughter some to eat and she will only sit there and play with it or go off and play with her toys and when we tell her to eat her food she says ok but then not touch the food at all. And it is really frustrating cause my mil always blames us for not feeding her as though she is a baby. And, I can't feed her and then my 9 month old at the same time. Isn't a 3 yr.old suppose to feed themselves by now or is it because my mil spoiled her? And what should I do? It is really frustrating to me and my husband.

kaynadjaysmom28

Asked by kaynadjaysmom28 at 4:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• My son does the same thing. He's 3, and totally capable of feeding himself. He just gets really frustrated sometimes because he has a hard time getting some foods on the spoon or fork. It's like he would just rather us do it for him than to deal with the frustration. But, I tell him I will be happy to help him if he can't do it himself, but he must try first. (And I make him REALLY try) Then when he eats a bite on his own, I give him lots of praise, and tell him to do it again until he has eaten his dinner.
    owensmom17

Answer by owensmom17 at 4:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• 3 yr olds can DEF feed themselves!!! my daughter went through a phase where she wanted us to go back to spoon feeding but i never gave in! i would nicly remind her shes a big girl and big girls feed themselves..does mommy get fed or does she feed herself? so forth and so on... at one point i even got to the point where i was just giving her pick up foods..(fish sticks, sandwiches etc...) so there was NO excuse! good luck!! ( and about your mil just a pleasant but very assertive reminder of whos mom and whos gma should fix that)
    idebusashes

Answer by idebusashes at 4:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Your 3 yo is working you...she is more them capable at that age to sit at the table, use her fork and feed herself. My 2 1/2 yo can do all that and also asks to leave the table when shes done, puts her plate and fork in the skin etc. You have to work with her on this- the transition will probably take alot of work and patience on your behalf- just keep it positive and don't waiver- 3yo's look for that to keep up there unwanted behaviors. Good luck
    litstargazer

Answer by litstargazer at 4:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It's meal time, food is on the table. She sits at the table and eats. If she doesn't eat, fine, she still sits at the table until the meal is over.

If she doesn't feed herself, then she doesn't get fed. She won't be hungry for long. One meal will probably do it.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i have a 3yo and a 10mo. what i do is get everybody's food ready and plated up....drinks, utensils, etc. and set the table. he has his own plate and his own fork and his sippy cup at his place at the table. the baby is in the high chair beside him. i feed the baby while i am eating. i tell my 3yo it's time to sit down at the table and eat like a family. he gets up in his chair and usually eats real good. sometimes i have to help him with noodles lol
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• She just want to be a baby. Tell her she is your helper. Aske her to help you feed the baby. She eat her food by herself.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 9:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• many of the above are good. My daughter was doing this a bit and I would help her sometimes toward the end but I also started setting a time limit... if your food was not done (and you were not at the table trying to eat it) it was GONE and no dessert or snack etc.
    (of course depending on the food -- some actually need help)
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 11:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2009