Please help!

I posted this in the cafe but got no responses.

Ok - we are selling our townhome. The people next door often are playing video games so loud we can hear it in our upstairs bedroom, from their living room downstairs. It's quite inappropriate and when we've asked them to turn it down we had the door shut in our face. I'm worried about a buyer hearing it; but either way it needs to be turned down.

Should I just have the HOA write them a letter or just call the police next time it happens?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Home & Garden

• Well you've tried to be a good neighbor and ask politely. You need to see if there is a noise ordinance in your town, because if there isn't, Calling the police will do no good. You should start by asking the HOA to send them a letter, but I don't think they have any authority when it comes to stuff like this. Your next step would be to call the police.
    Rebecca7708

Answer by Rebecca7708 at 4:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I have contacted the police already and I was told that there is a noise ordinance and that they can come into our home first to determine if the noise is at an unreasonable level and then they can go to their house -- but they cannot break and enter, so if they choose not to answer there's nothing they can do. However, they don't know that.

I did end up writing the HOA asking them to send them a letter. I'm not sure if they'll be able to but hopefully they'll end up directing me to some good resource or something. I'm just so frustrated about it all.
    Anonymous

• CALL THE POLICE GET A REPORT THEN SEND IT TO HOA WITH A COPY OF THE REPORT AND EVERYTIME YOUR BEING DISTURBED DO THE SAMETHING.
    KEYWEA

Answer by KEYWEA at 5:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I would deal with the HOA. Are there any other neighbors attached that may be affected by the noise, as well? If so, try to speak with them and ask if they happen to hear the noise, too. If they do, ask if they would be willing to join you in asking the HOA to have them turn it down in a polite manner without the neighbors getting angry at any one person (even though they will know it was most likely you who complained to them). If you don't have any other neighbors cooperation and the police cannot determine that the level is above the ordinance, then there really isn't much you can do.
    If you have hardwood floors, try placing extra area rugs down to try to "muffle" the noise when prospective buyers come to view the townhouse.
    I do think the HOA will be able to help you with this, though.
    Best wishes!
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Well, initially you should have told HOA. Calling the police may be obvious that you called at this point. This could flare up problems with them being spiteful. I am not sure at this point. Ask them if they could keep it down while you are showing the place to potential buyers? ? Sorry.
    Godswk

Answer by Godswk at 9:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I had a similiar problem, well I had several with my neighbors, if they won't listen and still keep it up, call the cops for a noise violation. After the first time or two they will get the hint and turn it down.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• both and make copies of everything, so that when they do get the letter, you are covered.. because they could retaliate, and you will have your proof if something happens.. most police stations wont respond if its tv noise, unless its really loud... i lived in a town home and know your grief over this.. find out when they arent there, and make sure the relators know when they should come by for a showing.. that way the potential home buyers wont have much contact with your neighbors. good luck.. or actually call the police but not 911 and ask them for advice in what they can and cant do and your rights.. when you do call, ask for an officer, and not the receptionist, unless its a smaller town
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 1:35 AM on Jan. 5, 2009