Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

medical billing and transcriptionist

I know these can be 2 work from home jobs. Has anyone gone through schools for training and has a legit company they do this from. I have a pretty strong medical background and I'd love to work from home so any advice anyone has on this would be great!


Asked by britni11 at 4:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

Level 9 (277 Credits)
This question is closed.
Answers (4)
  • My sister took medical billing from an on site class. The lady had years of experience in the field. It took my sister a good year. The test is really tough. She passed it. She is now working at a hospital. They hope to eventually work from home but that is a few years down the road. The jobs are out there but you may have to move. She had friend who also graduated get a job in another state. It paid well but not well enough to live in that area. Medical billing is very involved. To be certified takes a lot of studying. The national test also cost around 300-400 dollars to take.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

  • Girl, I too, had a strong medical background. When the kids were little I operated my own home transcription service. All I needed was a word processing program and some medical terminology books. I suggest MT Daily to find a great job. Or, I always recommend starting your own home based business. I have some ideas and such at

    Answer by pupmom at 7:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • Let me know if you get anymore feedback from your question. I just requested from my online college to send information on studying to do this from home. Perhaps maybe we should ask someone from a doctors office. I had my very own business that I started from Scratch 10 years ago. It was good while it lasted. Now I need something else; to keep me working from home. I don't want some network marketing.

    Answer by Godswk at 9:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • Just taking a passing the class does NOT get you certified. You take the class and then have to register and pay for the national certification test. My sister found she needed that certification to be considered for the jobs she found.

    Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Jan. 4, 2009