groceries

I have 50o.oo left a week after paying all bills,,,,,,,,i can easily spend 300.oo on food ..leaving 200.oo for gas ,,savings and entertainment..i dont want to spend that much on food ,,i am sick of it ,,ant suggestions.... i guess shop sale items and plan my menu around whats on sale?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• Try joning a Sams club, or some place you can buy in bulk...we have 4 kids and that helps us a ton!
    how_reb

Answer by how_reb at 5:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I plan a menu for two weeks. I buy those groceries and that way I don't get stuff we don't need. I also watch the sale ads and use coupons, there are four of us and I spend anywhere from $85.00 to $160 every two weeks.
    lapcounter

Answer by lapcounter at 5:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• that is what I would recommend. I also like to search "budget meals" or budget menu" and usually get lots of good ideas for my meals.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 5:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Another thing you should do: before you go shopping next time, go thru your fridge, freezer and pantry, make a list of everything you have, even down to ketchup, mustard, etc. See what kind of meals you can make with what you have, and what items you have that you would only need one or two more things to make it a meal. Put that list on your fridge or something. That will give you a base for what you have. Then, when you shop, shop sale items, but also buy store brand, plan your meals, use your leftovers. If you don't want to eat leftovers right away, you can freeze them. If there isn't enough for another meal, freeze it and use it for someone's lunch. Keep in mind what you have in the house already, so you don't, for example, buy all the ingredients for spagetti when you already have them at home.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 5:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Good God, 300 a week for groceries! Yikes! We have a family of five and if I spend more than 130 a week I have heart palpitations!
    We buy meat in bulk from the butcher, our fresh veggies and fruit at a produce market set up at the flea market, and our staples from Aldi's. I make our own bread and any cookies or snacks that the kids want that week I make from scratch on my day off (too bad they usually eat them all by day 3!). And our drugstore sells milk for 2.50 a gallon, which is good because if we drank any more I would seriously think about buying a cow and letting it live in the garage... :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Do you have a Save A Lot or Aldi's near you? They have pretty cheap food. Also, clip and use coupons. Find a store that has double coupon days and go shopping on those days.

Plan your meals out, make a list, and skip the extras. Instead of buying cookies, buy ingredients to make cookies. Instead of chips, try microwave popcorn as a good alternative.

Hope that helps!
    Ms.Melanie

Answer by Ms.Melanie at 5:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Costco first of all. I love it. you can get the membership for like $50 for the year. Fresh produce, milk and eggs are much cheaper there. Also, pay for a subscription to the Sunday paper to get all the coupons there. Also you can go online to www.coupons.com, or www.boodle.com and print off lots of grocery coupons. Also www.thecouponmom.com and www.grocerygame.com are great websites too. I spend on average $125-$150 a week for groceries and household items (including pet care stuff) for a family of 5 (my boys eat as much as grown men!). We buy frozen vegetables instead of fresh most often because they are cheaper and just as healthy. The exceptions are lettuce, tomatoes, carrots, celery and peppers which we often buy from produce markets. it's really easy if you take the time to shop smart and read all the price labels (sometimes bulk is not any cheaper than smaller sizes!). Hope you get something useful out of that!
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 6:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• 300 a week is a lot to spend. We're a family of 4 going on 5 and spend a third of that. You need to look at where that money is going. Make sure you're not buying junk. No cans of sodas, chips, prepacked snack foods... those will suck money up. Try getting a big jar of Crystal Light or something similar and making a gallon of lemon aid if you want some more variety in drinks. Make tea too... so much cheaper then bottled juices and sodas. I sit down with the weekly advertisement and I find the store that best matches what I need with its sales. I buy cereals on sale and usually spend less then 2.50 for a BIG box of good cereal. Cereal is a great snack, cheap and easy, and much healthier then cookies, chips and crap. I plan my weekly meals based on what meat is on sale. Pasta is cheap and easy, a can of sauce and a bag of spaghetti you can feed a family for $2.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 7:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• make things that last more than one day like casseroles and chili and stew and stuff like that. we make taco soup and it makes a huge pot for like 8 bucks its sooo good I don't mind eating it more than once. Coupons also help and when you use coupons don't cut out ones for food you'd like to try that makes you end up spending more ONLY look for coupons of stuff you would NORMALLY buy. Hope it helps. If anyone eats out or buys lunch or breakfast at school or work it's a lot cheaper to take lunch and eat breakfast before leaving the house.
    britni11

Answer by britni11 at 8:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You must have a large family.
    We shop at Sam's Club and for smaller items at our local grocery store. For a family of 5 (2 parents, a pregnant 20 y/o, and 2 older teens) we only spend between $200-$250 every 2 weeks - about $500 per month at the most.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 8:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009