My 7 year old is very needy is this normal?

She is so needy she can't do anything for herself. She constantly badgers me about doing stuff. Helping her, playing with her, no matter how much time I spend with her, she continues want more. I need time to myself at least 30 minutes! I just asked her not to bother me for a few minutes I was reading a book and was at a very good part. I was explicite of not interrupting. She didn't give me a second and she was, "Mom can you ". There are times in any given day that I want to just knock some sense into her ( I would never harm her ) She is so inconsiderate of others it's down right aggravating. Right now as I type this she has decided to write in her journal, She couldn't get it out of her drawer since she jambed 1000 other book into it so she stood her an badgered me until I helped her. Now she is in the living room reading it out loud while her 5 year old brother is trying to watch a movie. What do I do?

mothermayiam

Asked by mothermayiam at 5:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make her be independent. Tell her to play outside. Or invite a few friends over and tell her that they're her company and you'll only help if she needs it. Don't stop spending time with her though. Just explain to her that mommy needs mommy time, and when it mommy-daughter time its different. You can designate time for her to play with herself and time you'll play with her. Let the time she spends by herslf get longer as the days pass. She'll slowly assert her independence.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Ignore her when she is being inappropiate. First you let her know that you want alone, calm time that other than an emergency she should let you be (even set a timer) and follow through. The first time, remind her. Then after that ignore. You can even do a time out consequence.
    Same when she is interfering in other peoples space and time -- she's 7, i'm sure she knows she is being annoying. When one kid annoys the other I just remind that that payback is a ____ (not in those words) but I do remind them that when they are watching something they do not like ______ and if they do that to their bro/sis they will do it to them and I will not interfere. Then I let them make the choice.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 6:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i dont have a 7 year old but the girl i nanny for is 7 and she is very independant.
    katelynnsmommy1

Answer by katelynnsmommy1 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My 7 year old daughter says you should just read your book aloud to your daughter. She is sitting here as I type. We share the same experience.
    Diana6002

Answer by Diana6002 at 12:00 AM on Jan. 4, 2009