how long will i be in the hospital after delivery and what do i pack?

this is my first baby and im scared to death i have no idea what to expect and my husband and i are getting a divorce so i have no one to help me. im due on the 20th of this month and cant find what im supposed to pack for me or the baby. please help me if u can.

middleangel76

Asked by middleangel76 at 5:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I was in there for 3 days but I didnt have any thing bad going on, hopefully you dont either, pack some comfy clothes for you and the baby, nice warm ones for the baby, anything special that you like, like lotion or a brush, deffinetly a tooth brush, the hospital has diapers and things such as that so you shouldnt need any in the hospital, take your fav. shampoo, things like that, the hospital should have everything else covered. I may be forgetting something but i'm sure some one will add to it.
    Anonymous

• Depending on if you have a vaginal birth or a c-section it can be anywhere from 1 to 3 days unless there are complications. I had an uncomplicated c-section and was home 48 hours after giving birth.
    As for what to pack, there are many sites online that have lists, so I would do a google search and pick one!
    Best wishes and good luck!
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 5:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• also do i need to bring a breast pump or will i not need it in the hospital?
    middleangel76

Answer by middleangel76 at 5:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I was in and out in less than 24 hrs. IMO, The father of the baby should still be there since it is his baby, too, if he wants to be of course. A breast pump is not needed in the hospital, they have them if you need one for some reason, but you shouldn't need one. I packed a huge bag and most of it was totally unnecessary. Next time I'm not even going to bring it, DH can bring it later if I need it. An outfit for baby to go home in, the car seat properly installed, a blanket for baby, an outfit for you, a comfy pair of undies, toothbrush, hairbrush, hair tie, deodorant, camera, and a robe if you want one,and some chapstick. Seriously, though, my stuff just took up space in the room and it was more annoying than helpful.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I packed so many things and did not use them. What I used the most was Personal Hygiene items, towels, flip flops (to take a shower), nursing bra and comfortable clothes for when you go home. I had a robe for when I walked around. Socks. I am in Fl and they provide everything...the elastic underwear, pads, etc.

For the baby, I had the outfit to go home and a pink blanket that I asked them to use with her. The provided diapers, wipes, pacifier. I was breastfeeding so I did not have any bottles or formula. My understanding is that they provide that too. The little hospital hats are awful...so you might want to take a nice one!

mamadetresbbg

Answer by mamadetresbbg at 6:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Let me add...for how long? All depends of the state and their rules...I had her monday at 2 and I was allowed to leave on thursday @ 2. I tried to go home earlier...but no luck!
    mamadetresbbg

Answer by mamadetresbbg at 6:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• yeah, hospitals can provide you with just about everything you need. My mom works in one and she says ours even has the good chap stick I love. Oh, and FYI, at least here in CA, though they have certain visiting hours and they say that you cannot have your SO/DH or whoever in the "recovery" room with you after hours my mom tells me that by law they cannot enforce it. If you need someone to stay with you longer then (check with the laws in your state of course) you just don't back down. I didn't know and my mom didn't think to tell me and it was horrible when DH had to leave.
    Anonymous

• I took a pair of socks to keep my feet warm, clothes for the baby to come home in,a baby blanket, a change of comfy loose fitting clothes for me to go home in, and I think that was it....The hospital had tooth paste, soap, tooth brush, formula, diapers, and wipes, oh and the pads you will wear after birth..... I wish you lots of happiness with the new baby
    Most of the time you are in and out of the hospital so alot of stuff is not really needed. Just think practical and you will be fine
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 6:38 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• pack for 4 days in case of a c-section, pj's, robe, socks, underwear, magazine or a book to read, camera and it's charger, cellphone and it's charger, hairdryer, hair brush, headband( incase if you're not in the mood of drying or styling your hair), some makeup if you want, snacks, lots and lots of water(after my s-sction I was sooo thirsty that night I must have buzzed the poor nurse dozen times for water), toothpaste and brush, lotion, and an outfit for leaving the hospital
    for baby couple of outfits for photos and for leaving the hospital including socks and hat
    Shaima78

Answer by Shaima78 at 6:51 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I only stayed 24 hours.
    I only packed hygiene items (toothbrush, etc.) and a change of clothes for me and for the baby. I didn't see the need to bleed on any more of my own clothes than necessary, so I stayed in the hospital gown until time to go.
    If I anticipated being there longer, I might have wanted another change and maybe socks and a robe.
    Good luck!
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 6:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2009