chicken & dumplings

Would anyone be so kind and tell me how exactly you make this?

My husband loves it. His grandma makes it so good, i tried it once and liked it too. i want to cook it for my husband.

But im german, and before i met my hubby i have never even heard of that stuff before. So i have no idea how to make it.

thanks in advance

m.robertson811

Asked by m.robertson811 at 5:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I make them but I don't bake or fry the chicken - here's the recipe:

Poach 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts in water until done. Drain and set aside.
    Into pot - 2 cans chicken stock, chopped fresh veggies (we use carrots, celery and celery tops, onion, minced garlic, green beans and peas). bring to a simmer.

While that cooks, make the dumplings - I use 2 cups flour (I also mix about a tablespoon of either Italian seasoning or rosemary in w/ the flour), 1 t baking powder, 1 t salt, and 1 1/2 cups milk with an egg beaten into it. Mix it together and you get a sticky doughy batter. contd..
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 5:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• you need to find out if his grandma made noodle type dumplings or the fluffy type.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• you bake chicken..

you use chicken broth (a pot full?) and and butter (about a stick) and milk (about a cup).. for the base

then for the dumplins... however you make biscuits you roll it out flat and cut them into pieces about 2x2 and put then in the boiling chicken broth and butter and milk
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• for the chicken. actually.. you fry it. you get like chicken legs and such and put like shake and bake or homemade covering for it and fry it and then you can put it in the oven to keep warm
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 5:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• yeah i remember the dumplings were like noodle type, not fluffy. thick and sticky.. if thats how you would say it ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Bring the chicken stock up to a boil, then drop tablespoonsful of the dough into the broth. When all the dumplings are in, cover w/ a lid and turn down to simmer - let the dumplings steam with the veggies and broth about ten to fifteen minutes.

Meanwhile, shred the chicken and stir it back into the pot with half a stick of butter and a little milk.
    plylerjones