What should I do about my 10 yr old daughter?

I was walking from one room to the next this afternoon and caught my ten yr old daughter biting my 3yr old son. She was never a biter as an infant, so she was doing this to inflict pain on my son....What do I do? She is a lier like her dad so really trying to talk any sense into her has already been attepted. I am sure she has done this before, this is just the first time I caught it!

mandycane06

Asked by mandycane06 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• Do you know why she bite him. I would talk to her and explain that as the big sister she has rights but she also has responsibilities and one responsibility is to protectr her brother and be sure no one not ever her hurts him
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 5:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• yea, figure out why she did it. maybe he bite her first? maybe they were fighting....but she still needs to be taught that hurting others is not a good thing. try putting her on restriction for a week. no tv or no candy or something. just make sure she knows that hurting other people is a serious thing, esp siblings and or family.
    cnelson82

Answer by cnelson82 at 6:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Maybe he bit her first? I know I had a biter for a little brother, and a 10 year old really doesn't control their temper with that like an adult should.
    If not, and she was just being mean, I'd probably spank her severely, but that's me w/ my kid.
    I would not put up with it.
    3gymnastsmom

Answer by 3gymnastsmom at 6:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• another person in the room says mabe somebody should bite her. i think you should give her a time out
    singlemom503

Answer by singlemom503 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i think you should bite her so she knows how it feels to be bit by someone bigger than her so she knows how her younger sibling felt
    keishamoguel

Answer by keishamoguel at 7:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• When my daughter bit my other daughter, I sprinkled a little cinnamon in her mouth. She had been biting for some time and I had heard about this from a friend. It made her mouth uncomfortable, but didn't hurt her, and boy let me tell you, she NEVER bit again, because I made it very clear that this would be the consequence of her bitting. Some may not agree with me, but it worked for me!

As far as they lying goes, yea i have one of those too (same daughter), she's a difficult child. It's so sad and frustrating to not believe your own child and to know that any amount of reasoning will fall on deaf ears. But bottom line, she is old enough to know better and finding an effective consequence for when she bites again is in order. If you don't want to go the cinnamon route, then taking away something she LOVES every time she bites/lies should do the trick. Again, this always works for me.
    teachnmom67

Answer by teachnmom67 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My daughter did that when my son was little, we were in the car and she just bit his finger! he started screaming.... I asked her why she bit him and she said,"cause he put his finger in my mouth" that made me so mad, and she was about 9 years old! I think they do it for attention, but that don't make it ok. My daughter got a spanking for it.... i know alot of moms don't spank, but I did and it worked! She didn't do it again.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 11:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• a 10 year old definitely knows better...
    wow...
    i have a 10 year old and if he bit to inflict pain on his baby brother...
    i would take something very important (xbox,webkinz,tv or bike) away for a couple of days or a week if he lied about it.......
    toddsruby

Answer by toddsruby at 3:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• If she was younger, I would try to find out what happened and all, but at 10, she needs some definate punishment. Spanking, grounding, however you want to do it.
    medmaster2006

Answer by medmaster2006 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• First I would talk to her and the other sibling and find out what happend and if it turns out she did it out of pure malace her behind whould be mine. My mom whould say bite her and let her see how it feels I did that when my kids where going threw that biting phase and it worked no more biting but for her to do this at 10 well that another story.
    MRSDUNN2008

Answer by MRSDUNN2008 at 7:12 PM on Jan. 4, 2009