Moms with c-sections or laparotomies; want to hear your advice/experience!

I need to have a laparotomy to remove a large (but thankfully benign) ovarian tumour. The incision will be at the bikini line, similar to a c-section incision. I haven't had surgery before and am wondering if moms who have could tell me what your recovery process was like. How long before you were able to be 'back to normal?' How much pain and how to manage it? How long did it take your scar to heal? How does your scar look as time goes by?

Freela

Asked by Freela at 2:40 PM on Oct. 3, 2011 in Health

• They will give u pain meds. U can't drive for 6 weeks! It will take that long to feel 100% again! Your scar will be pink to start then it will turn skin tone. Message me and keep me updated.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:44 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• It was pretty painful for about a week, then I started feeling back to normal. One the hardest things was getting up from laying down, you'll find its easier to sort of roll out of bed on your side. Its been 8 years since my csec and my scar is very very light. They should do it pretty low so that it won't be an issue.

Good luck!
    choco_mom

Answer by choco_mom at 2:48 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• Can't drive for 6 weeks? Where'd that come from? I was sore for the first 4 days after my c-sections (I've had 2). I was off all pain meds by one week post op. By the end of the first week post op I started to walk for exercise (3 miles). By 5 wks post op I was back to running for exercisen (5 miles). I don't remember ever being told not to drive....unless I was on the pain meds.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 2:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• I'm wondering how big the incision will be? I have had a laparotomy twice and the healing was very fast. The incision was right below the hair line and now several years later you can't see it at all. This type of "surgery" is so much better, they can do so much with such a small incision, therefore very little recovery time. I'd say you'd be fine in 3 days at the most. Just rest the first day for sure.
    robyann

Answer by robyann at 3:06 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• Robyann, did you have laparoscopic surgery instead? That is a tiny incision... unfortunately because of the nature of the cyst they are removing from me they have to do the laparotomy instead- the scar will still be low and down at the hairline but closer to a c-section incision than a laparoscopic incision.
    Freela

Comment by Freela (original poster) at 3:10 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• It depends on each person on the recovery time, typically incision below the binki line is painful and it can take atleast 6 weeks for recovery, I've had 2 surgies and one c-section, they were all difficult because of that it's much harder for me to lose the baby fat, and fat around my belly because I've had to build up my stomach muscles after time again.
    Sillylins

Answer by Sillylins at 4:23 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• 6 months after my C-section the 8 inch scar is still angry purple.

What you do need to know is that the cut will sever nerves, and it will take a long time to get all of the feeling back to your tummy. There are still large patches of my stomach that I can touch and still not feel. (It makes complete sense once it's been explained to you by the surgeon, but at the time it seemed like something had gone wrong with the surgery).
    GoodyBrook

Answer by GoodyBrook at 5:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2011