• In the Spotlight:

At what age should children start feeding themselves?

My father who didn't raise any of his kids mind you had plenty to say about what I was doing with my daughter. My daughter is two and she started with finger foods around 10 months and she feeds her self with a little fork or spoon. She's two so she makes a mess but she's learning and I feel she's doing a great job. My father thinks that I should be feeding her so that she eats better and makes less of a mess, what do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:24 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• absolutely NOT your father couldn't be MORE wrong. how else is she going to learn. she'll end up getting lazy and want yo to just feed her all the time and you'll have to feed her even longer. Your doing the right thing by letting her be independent and learn to feed herself :o]
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 6:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I thnk 10 months is perfect, She's going to make a mess for a while. Seems like your dad just wants you to do things the easy way so you don' t have to clean up a mess.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My daughter started doing finger foods at 9 months and is now getting there with a spoon at nearly 11 months. Lay down an old sheet under her chair so that you can just throw it in the washer when she is done! I agree with the other ladies that your dad wants to take the easy route.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• HA HA, my dad is the same. Didn't help out with us, but is the authority on all things grand baby. Mine feeds herself fine at 16 months, but she does make a little mess. You gotta let her learn.
    PROGENITOR

Answer by PROGENITOR at 6:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My little miss independant 2yr old won't let me even try to feed her...she just made a major mess with the pizza...I totally agree with all the ladies...
    Jan40

Answer by Jan40 at 7:09 PM on Jan. 3, 2009