Can belly sleeping make her sleep too much?

I'm afraid my baby is a "sleepy" baby. She's less than a week old, and sleeps way too long. if I put her on her back to sleep, she'll wake up within 5-15 minutes. If I put her on her side or belly, she'll sleep all day. It's hard to even wake her up to eat, and even then, she wants to take 2 sucks then go back to sleep.
She'll sleep over 8 hrs if I don't wake her, and even when I can get her to feed good, she only eats a lot about once or twice a day. Other than that she just kinda takes a few sucks then goes to suck on her hands. All the drs. are closed and her first appt isnt til Wednesday. I think i'm going to take her in on Monday, but until then what do you think about this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:28 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• People say not to do belly sleeping..because of sids but they have gone back and forth on that subject belly was ok then is wasn't then it was now they say no.... so I think in that case you do what she is comfortable with..she needs to be eating though so maybe try the back again give her a day or two though. Don't go back and forth BUT my now 5 month old has always wanted belly she doesn't spit up and choke on her belly like she did on her back and she sleeps better. My son was the same he is two years old. It depends on you and your child what works best. I would talk to the pedi too though.
    Willywonka06

Answer by Willywonka06 at 7:11 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Personally, I wouldnt let her sleep on her tummy because of sids. I would just let her sleep as much as she wants to.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 6:30 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My friends baby would have slept the entire day if she would have let her, She should be eating 2 to 3oz every 2 to 3 hours or 3 to 4 hours at least.. You should talk to her doctor and see what he thinks, also putting newborns on their belly to sleep is risky business, I know it's not a proven fact but alot of SIDS cases have been related to infants sleeping on their belly. Be careful with that.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 6:32 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• its fine i have 10month old who slept on her belly from 2months till now and shes just fine its more compfy that way when i use to try to lay her on her back she wont sleep long so as she got older i put her on her back and she just rolls over to get compfy. its both ways now.
    Anonymous

• I would like to point out just because some women let their children sleep on their belly and their children are fine, does not still mean there isn't a risk involved. SIDS can effect a child up until 4 months. Sorry I think you're questioned turned from a does my baby sleep too long?, to a i put my baby on her belly to sleep forum.
    Anonymous

• I really wouldn't put her on her belly at all to sleep because of the risk of SIDS. Putting a baby on their back is the safest, but even the side would be safer than the belly.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 7:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• No matter how you baby sleeps, she needs to be eating at least every 2 hours. You need to wake her up to feed her.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 7:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You should put your baby on her back because its recommended to lower the risk of SIDS. Have you tried putting her in a swaddle blanket, maybe she wakes up because she startles herself. You shouldn't let your baby sleep so much because when she gets older its going to get harder to put her on a schedule and then she won't sleep at night.
    beautifulinlove

Answer by beautifulinlove at 7:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I only let my son sleep on his tummy when some one is there to make sure that he's breathing, and to make sure that he's not having any problems, and he sleeps really well on his tummy, but I still have him sleep on his back when we go to bed or if I'm trying to pick up the house, and he's asleep. She'll sleep when she wants to sleep, but make sure to keep feeding her. You may have to keep waking her up, to make sure she gets enough. she should eat about 8-12 times a day, even if its just a few ounces at a time. Talk to your pediatrician also, to see if there are anyways to keep your baby up for a little bit longer. Eventually she may get into a routine of sleep for a few hours, eat, sleep again for a few hours and so on, then she'll start talking to you, and learning to play. as the months go on, and at that point, you'll wish that she would go to sleep like she is now, but she'll also be easier to have fun with.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 8:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My middle son was the same way. He would sleep almost all day if i let him. While breastfeeding, try to rub uner the chin, or rub the shoulder to wake her. That worked for my son. Try different things to wake her to eat. I personally put all 3 of my sons to sleep on there backs due to SIDS. That was just me because I could NOT sleep "cause I kept thinking I would wake up to my baby not breathing. It is all on if you feel OK with her sleeping on her tummy.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2009