is on and off brown spotting normal?

well, since I reached the 8 week mark I've had spotting on and off, sometimes it's more than others. and every time I call to get an ultra sound and everything looks fine, baby and heart beat. but I'm almost 12 weeks and still spotting is this a threatened miscarriage ? Am I going to bleed all pregnancy long? I've had 2 miscarriages before and I can't imagine loosing this one? I guess my question is has anyone been through this?

Shaima78

Asked by Shaima78 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Hey there. I completely understand your fears. I miscarried my first 3 pregnancies and I had spotting with all of them. My 4th pregnancy was carried to term, but I was sure I was going to lose him too because I had pink/brown spotting and even had some cramping till I was about 10 weeks. I was like you and went in for an ultrasound and his heart was beating and everything was ok. During pregnancy, there is a lot of blood flowing and if you have sex or something your cervix can be easily irritated, so that could be the problem. We didn't have sex the entire time I was pregnant though with my 4th and like I said, I still spotted. It is very scary, but can be nothing at all.
    AlliO2

Answer by AlliO2 at 6:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Brown blood is old blood. Most likely it is just your cervix and your vagina getting rid of old blood. Is there anything that happens before you spot that might prompt it? Sex, exercise, etc?
    I had a lot of bleeding in during the first trimester with my first, but it was bright red with clots and everything.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 6:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I agree with reflect1light...
    Brown blood is old blood and your cervix had some left; that's it's way of getting rid of it.
    I bled for three to four weeks during my first trimester. The doctor's called it a threatened miscarriage the two times i went into the er. However, it does not mean you will lose your child. I am now 24 weeks and the baby and i are doing wonderful. You will not bleed throughout your whole pregnancy, prolly just throughout your first trimester. Around 13+ weeks you shouldn't anymore.
    moms1stprincess

Answer by moms1stprincess at 9:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009