Moms who have had a tubal ligation

I have to have abdominal surgery to remove a benign ovarian tumour, as well as the ovary and fallopian tube on that side. Dh and I have three children and are 100% sure that we are done, so I figured while I am already in surgery I would have a tubal ligation on the other side. However, I have recently been reading about 'Post Tubal Ligation Syndrome' where women have unpleasant side effects like heavier periods and depression and hormonal effects following a tubal ligation. So for those moms who have had tubal ligations, have you experienced unexpected side effects? Are you happy with the surgery?

Freela

Asked by Freela at 8:39 PM on Oct. 3, 2011 in Health

• It will be 10 years in Jan for me.. While I do have worse cramping a few days before my period, my actual period is lighter.. It lasts about 3 days and not heavy at all. Cramps last about 24 hours.. I have not noticed any other issues with the tubal..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:46 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• Sorry, I have mild cramping a few days before my period which I did not have before. The "bad" cramps happen when I start and they are really bad but only last about 24 hours or less.. I use the heat pads the day of and midol a few days before to decrease the pain..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 8:53 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• I had one 25 years ago. No issue with mine.

Answer by louise2 at 8:56 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• I cramp a little more but since my tubal was done at the same time as my c-section there is no proof the tubal is what caused it. All in all I am very happy with my choice.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:59 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• Mine was 4.5 years ago. My periods are different (a little heavier but done 3 days sooner), and not quite as regular, but the cramping is about the same. I honestly don't feel that much has changed. I'm happy that I did it (though now I'd rather have a hysterectomy, lol, because I still worry about being that tiny little % that still gets pregnant, lol!).
    Anonymous

• i just had mine done 2 and half weeks ago after having a c-section myself.. my husband and i are done on our count for children and as for the side effect i haven't had any so far.
    mommys2cupcakes

Answer by mommys2cupcakes at 9:18 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• I had mine almost three years ago. No regrets. It was a little rough at first. I don't do surgery well, and it messed with my periods. But it far outweighs going through another high risk pregnancy.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• I had Essure done. I LOVE it. It is the first sterilization procedure to have zero pregnancies during clinical trials. There is also no chance of the tubes growing back together like in a traditional tubal ligation. I had it done on a Friday and was back to normal on Monday.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:45 PM on Oct. 3, 2011

• One of the better decisions of my life. I never experienced any side effects and I never regretted getting it done.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 4:28 PM on Oct. 4, 2011

• I had one 18 years ago, when my last baby was born, and over the years I did develop heavier periods, and eventually fibroids and endometriosis. I ended up just having a total hysterectomy 4 years ago, and I've never been happier.
    cbk_mom3

Answer by cbk_mom3 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2011