How do I get my son to potty train?

My son will be 3 this fall, how do I get him to potty train? I've tried giving him a lot of juice and setting a timer, I've even tried letting him run around the house naked. Nothing seems to work he doesn't even really like to sit on his potty. But yet he has to go watch daddy everytime he goes. Any ideas???

Asked by mama365 at 2:39 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Okay, so I saw this thing on the Today Show. When I first saw it I thought it was horrible, but they had an expert on and said it was a good thing. OF course put them in "big girl/boy panties". And explain to them that when they need to go to the potty here it is. (show them) DO NOT ASK THEM when they need to go because then they dont feel in control of their body and will rebel. So, what you do is the first day give your child salty makes them thirsty and in return they drink more. Also, if you give them more sugary drinks it makes them drink more, now I'm not saying give them a can of Mountain Dew.But the big this if they have accidents you make them clean it up. (I saw it and hated it, but they say it makes them realize its nasty and they dont want to do it) But when they mess up.. dont yell or anything just make them clean it. When they do go in the potty give them something special. Just do this until they get a hang of it. Hope I can help out.. Let me know how it goes.

Answer by sarah.south33 at 2:40 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• When I first started potty training my daughter I let her finish a beverage and them sat with her while she sat on the potty. I read her a couple books, we played with some of her toys, ect. The first few times it took her about an hour of sitting on the pottly before she went. Then it went down to 1/2 hour or so. Then 15 minutes. By the 8 time or so she would go as soon as I put her on it. I make sure to take her before and after she rest, as soon as she finishes a bevarage, and then every 45 minutes or so.

Answer by Motherdragon at 2:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I had started to potty /pee-pee train my son, since he was one and half year old.
    For potty it was very hard to make him sit at the begining, but I was aware of his regular routine. He went potty every morn after breakfast. So I knew the time to make him sit on the potty. I sat with him at the potty every morning for abt 20 minutes over there. But well this is how he would get comfortable with the potty seat and then he would go. Of course he used to get constipated and juices are the best option for that.
    Also my son prefers peace while he goes, so while he is doing the potty, he will ask me to go out, so I guess they also require privacy , just leave the door open and stand on a side, without making noise for him to concentrate and after a few days he will himself come to u and tell u that he requires to go potty.
    I feel u just require to give him some practice before his potty time, and make him seat on the potty seat more often

Answer by clexpert at 3:04 PM on Jun. 19, 2008