WHAT IS MORE RESPECTABLE WHEN TALKING RACE?

white or caucasion

black or african american

oriental or asian

mexican or hispanic

english or europian

I never know what to refer people as when we talk their race. To me, your American but does it affend people to go by color instead of ethic background if you understand what i mean?

kscmbz

Asked by kscmbz at 7:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• I try to avoid racial descriptions because you never can tell whether someone will be offended by it. I hate trying to describe someone, though, when they're the only one of their ethnic group there and you don't know if saying their race will be a problem. I personally don't care if people call me white, I am. To be honest, I'm pretty pasty. lol
    degsyuna

Answer by degsyuna at 9:25 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I like this question, because if a group of AA women were talking about me ; would they say that white girl? It doesnt bother me because I am white, but not really I am much darker than a cotton ball white lol... If I am talking about someone of a diffrent color I do say that black girl, lady, man, etc... I dont see it as racist, and everyone that knows me knows there is not a racist bone in my body, I treat all people the same...based on how they treat me. I will use asian as a way to describe someone but not to put a race down.. I would say mexican bacause it is easier to say then hispanic, just like white is easier to say then caucasion and so for.
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:52 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I say white, black, asian, mexican and english. Why in the world would you call a black person "Afircan American"?? There are white people from Africa, too!
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 7:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• sorry II wanted to type * forth*
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• The only unacceptable term you have above is orential. A rug or decor is orential, not a person.
    Anonymous

• haha thats a good point autumn....

i call them white, black, mexican, etc.... caucasin is just a weird word and seeing as tho most of the black people in america arent from africa but infact them and their parents were born here... that just makes them american......

my family is italian, a little tiny indian, and a bunch other but i dont say that.... im white, better yet AMERICAN this is where i was born as well as my mother and grandmother :)
    JuLiAnSmOmMy317

Answer by JuLiAnSmOmMy317 at 7:57 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• white
    black
    asian
    mexican
    english

and since i am welsh i hate when people call me, english, british, american sometimes because we speak the same language but we all know we have totally different ways of doing things etc.
    Mummytomore

Answer by Mummytomore at 8:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I'm white, an person with African ancestry is black, a person with brown skin who speaks Spanish is (probably) Mexican, and a person with the epicanthal fold of their eyes is called Asian... That's if I have to refer to someone by race. Usually when asked Who's _____, I will say, the woman in the green shirt or something like that. Sometimes refering to a person by race is unavoidable tho, then I use the terms I mentioned.
    pagan_mama

Answer by pagan_mama at 8:01 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Good luck to you honey, Im black and it doesn't matter what you say someone will be offended. I didn't know other black people/African Americans had a problem with being called African American until cafe mom. Ive been called both and I am American with a West Indian background.

Anonymous

• Holy Guacamole! Not all people with brown skin are Mexican! People of Spanish decent should be referred to as Latinos.

Anonymous