at what age did your children start feeding themselves with spoons or forks

My DD was using a spoon (cant remember if she used a fork or not) before she was a year old. I remember this clearly because she would not eat her 1st bday cake until I gave her a spoon. But I handed the 13 month old I sit for a spoon with her dinner today and she had no idea what to even do with it. So question is when did everyone elses babies learn to use them

sweetdragoness

Asked by sweetdragoness at 7:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My son who is 21 months old has been getting a spoon for awhile now. He is just now getting really good with it. :) He has a few sets of forks and spoons.

I think you should keep giving it to her so she can get used to it. She will start using it when she is ready. :)
    spunkymomof3

Answer by spunkymomof3 at 8:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I agree with the poster above me!
    ilovexzavier

Answer by ilovexzavier at 8:29 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I'm kind of drawing a blank here on this one. I gave my twins forks and spoons at each meal after they turned a year. They learned to use a fork first because it's easier to "stab" at food than to scoop. They're two years old now and can use both just fine (although they still prefer to eat with their hands). At least now they use a spoon 100% of the time when they have a yogurt or applesauce.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• with this one... I'll let ya know when he does, and he's almost 15 months lol! He holds the fork and spoon while using his fingers to scoop up the food!
    __Jessie__

Answer by __Jessie__ at 8:43 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Don't worry, She will get the hang of it if you keep offering it to her, especially if you all eat together. My boys used spoons/forks at different ages.
    team21

Answer by team21 at 8:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I fed my son until he took the spoon from me one day and did it by himself perfectly around 18 months. He was a little too wild with a fork, so I didn't even feed him with one. Then, at 22 months I fed him with a fork, he grabbed it, and started feeding himself perfectly with that as well. I was surprised he didn't seem to need any practice. As long as they're not hurting themselves or getting frustrated, I'd let them try when they want to.
    LiquidVitamins

Answer by LiquidVitamins at 9:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Fingers at 6 months
    Fork at about 11 months
    Spoon at about 18 months
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I give my one year old a spoon. She most of the time holds it in one hand and eats with the other. And sometimes she will stick the handle of she spoon in and bring that to her mouth. I just started giving it to her in the last couple weeks.  and it took her a few times of watching us eat with it to realize she could do the same.

takodasmom1117

Answer by takodasmom1117 at 1:04 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Maybe it was a fork my daughter was using at a year. I asked the little girls mom about it when they picked her up tonight and she said they had never even thought about giving her silverware cause she just used her hands but I think I may either request they pick up a toddler silverware set or pick one up myself since she will be having dinner with us twice a week now she definitely seemed interested and she was watching me eat and watching Jasmyn eat and then she would dip the spoon in her food and bring the spoon to her mouth but there would be nothing on it. Now that I think about it a fork may have been better cause she could have stabbed at the food.
    sweetdragoness

Answer by sweetdragoness at 1:07 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Tonight I offered my 10 month old son his spoon, after I put some peach baby food on it, just to see what he would do. He ended up surprising me by grabbing it with one hand and putting it directly into his mouth! Then right afterwards, he grabbed his sippy cup that was right in front of him, tipped it up and took a huge sip! He is my first child, so I don't know where he stands developmental wise, but to me as an adult, I think that he is phenomenal!!! Which I'm sure that every parent in the world thinks that of their child, which they very much, damnwell should! :) Every child is unique and every single child is beautiful and wonderful in their own specific ways! I hope this helps!!! :)
    Autumn B.

Answer by Autumn B. at 11:28 PM on Mar. 30, 2011