Is Monique a Black name?

I'm white, and my boyfriend is also white I always liked the name Monique and we're having fraternal twins, my boyfriend's name is Michael and I want to give our kids M names, I'm naming my DS after my boyfriend and my DD I'm thinking to name her Monique for her first name and her middle name Breanne. I'm just wondering if Monique is too African American for someone white to have the name?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Oct. 4, 2011 in Baby Names

• *sigh*

Monique isn't too anything. Name your baby what you want.
    Brawnwyn

Answer by Brawnwyn at 9:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• Not necessarily.
    proudmom2510

Answer by proudmom2510 at 9:10 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• I think it does sound like a "black person name". Monica is the "white version". ha ha ha It is really up to you though. Just think if you saw it on paper...what would YOU assume?
    cupcake2819

Answer by cupcake2819 at 9:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• I believe Monique is a French name... no? I don't really see it as a name associated with any race...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 9:11 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• A name is a name, if you like the name, use it!
    kylie_bob

Answer by kylie_bob at 9:12 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• Based on people I have met I think it is more of an ethnic name, but if you like the name use it. It's a nice name for anyone.
    AntoinetteF

Answer by AntoinetteF at 9:13 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• From the Latin monere (to advise) or perhaps the Greek monos (alone, solitary).

It may also be a name of Phoenician origin.

Monique was particularly popular in France in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Although it was only the 655th most popular name in the United States in 2006, it was #98 in New Mexico.

It is a beautiful name. And not so popular that there will be 5 others in her class with the same name.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:14 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• it doesn't sound so bad together Michael and Monique , i'm just afraid of what might happen when she goes to school I don't want her getting teased about her name.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:19 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• if i saw it i would think she was black
    dumdscreenname

Answer by dumdscreenname at 9:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• Monique is a french name which would mean it's historically white.
    Octobersmom

Answer by Octobersmom at 9:20 AM on Oct. 4, 2011