dont want to lactate...any suggestions?

with both my sons i breastfed,not the greatest experience i might add.i got mastitis with both,also not the greatest,with this pregnancy being my last i want to skip breastfeeding all together i heard there's actually a pill you can take to stop lactating before it begins any information or suggestions?

tzingillusion21

Asked by tzingillusion21 at 8:06 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Yes, there is a pill. I can't breastfeed because of prescription medication that keeps me alive. You doctor can prescribe hormonal pills (that you take temporarily) to stop lactation. Good luck.
    Anonymous

• My doctor would not give me the pill. He said there were links to breast cancer. They wrapped me right after the baby and when I got home I put cabbage leaves and wrapped. It worked great. In about three days all my milk dried up. Oh yea, freeze the leaves. It helps. I very little pain. That is what my doctor recommended. Good luck.

jepelican

Answer by jepelican at 8:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• They dont give you the dry up pill anymore they stopped around the 80s 90's....

It gives you an increased risk of breast cancer..
    i know it sucks but heck
    i cannot say much because i am leaking as of now lol...
    and who knows how long it will be ..i just had her monday
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 8:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• wrap up tight. You will still experience engorgement, but things will dry up quickly if you stay wrapped. I would encourage you to give your baby the colostrum before you wrap, though. It is sooooo good for them. And since it is going to be there anyway, it couldn't hurt, right? Just wrap after the first or second feeding. Good luck either way.
    zackkatiejames

Answer by zackkatiejames at 10:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• if i wrap wont thisstill giveme mastitis,from engoregement?
    tzingillusion21

Answer by tzingillusion21 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• what exactly is mastitis?? im sorry you had such bad experiences with breast feeding..its so beneficial to the baby and such a great bonding experience..im going to ask this question becuase i dont know what mastitis is, but is there a difference between actually breast feeding vs pumping?? or will it all do the same thing to you?
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• oh yeah, ask your dr to refer you to a lactation consultant so they can give you some pointers on how to stop the milk or possibly Help you with your problem. GL
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Personally this makes me really sad! Last baby or not you gave your sons the best food for them in the beginning of there life, the most crucial moments and due to some discomfort you are not going to give it to your 3rd child? I am speaking from experience I had difficulty with both of my daughters and breastfeeding, but I know how important it is to breastfeed and I stuck with it. Those problems included horrible cases of mastitis and thrush at the same time! How about just trying to get as much education about breastfeeding as possible and not giving up! yOu are this childs Mom, give it what it needs even if that means a little pain! YOu had a baby! I would try attending La Leche League meetings in your area and arm yourself with as much info to prevent and cure mastitis quickly and breastfeed your baby. As far as I am concerned it's not even an option not to unless, you have a medical condition that doesn't allow for it!
    luvmybabiegirlz

Answer by luvmybabiegirlz at 2:09 AM on Jan. 4, 2009