Do you think there should be an age limit to having children?

I hear about women 40+ having kids, and that's fine and all.. but the possibility of birth defects is higher in older women having children. I personally think there should be a point where a woman should just get her tubes tied.. do you really want to be that old, raising a special needs child? What do you think??

I'm only going anon because I know how touchy women can be on here.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Just for Fun

• There's always risks, so what the numbers are little higher. If a woman wants to have a child, who are we to say it's not ok? I heard the risks get higher once you hit 30 . . . . that won't stop me from having another child.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 8:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think the only limit should be on children having children. They aren't quite grown up enough to fully understand the respsibility of raising a child. I think that older women make great mom's. I have a coworker prego for the first time at 40--she is scared, but she is not worried about birth defects. I understand that there is a higher chance of them at this age but that would not stop me from having kids at that age.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think God put an age limit when he made menopause. There was a woman in India that gave birth in her 70's just a few weeks ago. Anything is possible, who are we to say that they should not have children b/c they are too old.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Eww. I heard about that woman in India, but that was IVF.. not natural... I also agree with previous poster about limiting children having children. Good answer.
    Anonymous

• I agree w/ bridget that there are always risks. As far as having a special needs child, it's the parents decision on whether they feel they are able or want to handle all that it entails. But IMO, as long as the Dr doesn't see any health risks be it family or personal history, I see no problem with it.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think there should be o.o
    Anonymous

• my my my..you're right, women can be touchy, especially when you tell them they can't or shouldn't do something because of their age...i'm assuming the op thinks a 20 yo knows how to raise/handle a 'special needs child' better than a 40+...we know all bets are off once you're pregnant, no matter what the mother's age; therefore, anyone at any age can birth a special needs child..you don't necessarily have healthy children just because you are young. can someone explain this to me: if you're pro-choice (feel its no one's business whether you have an abortion or not)....then who's business is it if a 40+ has a child? i'd rather trust a child, special or not, to an older woman who's (typically) more grounded, and not worried whether she's getting to go out every saturday night (like some young mothers might). age limit? B.S.!
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 8:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• So are we turning into a Chinese type of society or what?...First you impose an age limit to child bearing, but what you are really banning is "disable babies"...Just meeting them at what you perceive to be the source...Maybe later, since you think boys are better than girls we can come up with a ban limiting the amount of girls one can have per family...and we can have public wippings of the mothers who ignore such a ban...You know to teach the others a lesson...Then...Where would we stop???...As far a backward steps...I guess, there's no limit...We could just keep going in the name of having perfect babies!!! Whoo-hoo!!!...the brown ones are next!

Getting in touch with your humanity...Priceless!

Loba

Answer by Loba at 8:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Well, I think there should be ...Since their not young enough to be with the child, for along amount of time, I mean, Its up to them but bringing a child into the world when your around 50 or so, Knowing you could pass, from your age, i know everyone could die any day we dont know, but, Increased risks for older people are out there, and they need to think about that, I would suggest adopting an older child if i were them,

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 9:13 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think as long as you are able to naturally conceive a baby then nature knows what its doing. On the other hand if you have to have a procedure to make that baby then really I think there is a line there if you are in you 50's or 60's & giving birth.
    Anonymous