How do I deal with a 16 month old daughter who won't keep her diaper on and occasionally plays with her poop!!! haha

Mama2Mia

Asked by Mama2Mia at 11:12 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Glad I'm not alone!! haha My sister gave me a tip about the diaper issue- if you put it one backwards it is not so tempting to take off because then they can't reach the tabs. Maybe worth a try. As far as the digging for poo the only luck I have had is that just this month (17 months old) my daughter feels really proud of herself when she runs up and tells me right away that "I potty" and she is rewarded for the good communication. Good luck!
    shancali

Answer by shancali at 11:16 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My 21 month old still does this ...I always keep shorts on him..and at night sleep him in a romper or onesie.I just never leave diaper exposed..YOU are not alone in your troubles!
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 11:35 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• LOL I am not at this stage with my daughter yet, maybe its time to introduce the potty, she is surely showing interest! LOL
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 11:37 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Duc tape works. If you wrap it around her diaper, she can't take it off, and she can't get her hand in the diaper.
    barrettboys

Answer by barrettboys at 8:51 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Time to potty train her!My little girl was ready very early-Won't hurt to try!
    hollid

Answer by hollid at 9:04 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Oh my goodness-I love the duct tape answer!!Mom's never get enough credit for how truly clever they are!Great answer!
    hollid

Answer by hollid at 9:08 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• lol....I have the same problem with my son Raheem who is 19 moths now......he started when he was 16 mths too. I did turn it back way but he did not have much trouble in taking it off anyway....I have now resorted to "hurriedly"(he will be pulling it off while I am putting it on- have to hold both his hands....lol) putting on brief over the diaper. I am so afraid of him touching his poop too ......he is a thumb sucker.....planning to potty train him this month end...
    JAgirl

Answer by JAgirl at 9:14 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• We have a friend who has a child that was doing this.. he also did the duct tape thing.. turning the diaper around did not help them. The kid was too strong and would work until he tore the diaper and then run around the house slinging it everywhere. Needless to say I have never been with them at their home (since the child was born) so I have not witnessed this; just going on what my husband told me. I think I would have a heart attack.. let's just hope my son doesn't do that..
    georgeswife5014

Answer by georgeswife5014 at 9:21 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I dealt with a girl that did this constantly...so our daycare madated that she was to wear onezies with the snaps in the crotch?? and spankies over that if she was wearing a dress so she couldn't access it...I mean she sure as hell tried but couldn't get to it...i've also heard some parents using painters tape which is the blue tape you use to cover trims and whatnot when your painting your house...it sounds a little nuts but it doesn't stick to the baby's skin and its easy to get off clothing...they just wrapped it around the legs and kept their kids in onezies too...
    AbbysMom059

Answer by AbbysMom059 at 9:34 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• i went through this with my youngest son. he wipped poop all over the walls and floor and himself when he would wake up from a nap dirty! i cryed trying to scrub up all the mess! i didnt think i could take it much more. after about 2 weeks straight of cleaning up poop and scolding him for making a mess, it finally stopped. he was in pull ups at the time. but he was just being stubborn and pushing my buttons. my suggestion is to try to stay calm and be repetitive that this is not acceptable. everytime i stuck owen on the toilet seat while i cleaned up his mess until he got the point that he goes on the toilet and not in his pants. i learned that he hated being dirty. he didnt like sitting in his poop. so once he leartned to go in the toilet and it wanst all over him he finally stopped with the messes. i feel so bad for you because when this happened to me (on the third boy, the other two never did this) i thought i was gonna freak out!! it will pass eventually! good luck
    clasemomma

Answer by clasemomma at 11:37 AM on Jul. 16, 2008