I went from making alot of breastmilk to hardly any any suggestions on what I can do to increase my milk supply?

Breastfeeding and now formula ,but I would like to hopefully go back to total breastfeeding.

Jeander00

Asked by Jeander00 at 8:23 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• mothers milk tea
    alfelfa pills ( can get at walmart for $4)

and if that dont work talk to ur doc and he might proscribe you a med for it
    Anonymous

• I used fenugreek. It made me smell like syrup, but it worked great. I never produced enough so I would add what I could pump to the formula bottle. I think having breast implants kept me from making enough milk. Just make sure you dont microwave the breast milk.
    Anonymous

• When my supply goes down to nothing I eat oatmeal or make oatmeal cookies. Then all day I pump then nurse. Baby will empty you more after pumping and therefor your body will get the signal you need to make more. Do this all day as often as possible. Don't even worry about how much you get pumping. Hope this helps. Good luck!
    aeemom

Answer by aeemom at 8:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you have a breast pump I would pump right after nursing for about 10 min. I would also try some fenugreek, blessed thistle, goats rue, alfalfa, or mothers milk tea. All of these are proven to help increase supply. Drink a TON of water, and eat well, and relax. It will come back. Try not to go more than a few hours w/o nursing or pumping. Check out kellymom.com they also have a lot of information. I know this sounds weird--but I have found that a glass of wine has helped me recently--don't know if it is because it relaxed me more.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:44 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I hope I don't come off as rude, but how do you know your milk went down? If it is just cause you are not pumping enough, I just want to let you know that pumping does not equal milk supply. Wet diapers equal milk. There are women who have a low supply and any of the things suggested could work, but giving any formula will lower you supply. Easiest way to up your supply is to get rid of the formula and feed on demand. After that, up your water and try any of the things the other mom suggest that you like.

Amber115

Answer by Amber115 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Fenugreek and if that does not work then have your doc call in Reglan. PUMP PUMP PUMP and FEED FEED FEED. I know that your going to feel like your a walking milk truck but it will help get your supply up the more you nurse and pump.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 9:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I recommend making an appointment with a lactation consultant immediately. They can help you out! You can see a lactation consultant for free at most hospitals!
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 9:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• fenugreek for a few days, and lots of water
    sacasy

Answer by sacasy at 9:47 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Take a nursing vacation. Get in bed with your baby (and a stack of dvds) you with no shirt, baby in only a diaper. Hold her and nurse her as much as she is willing to. 24 hours of this can really turn things around.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:02 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• talk to your doctor mine did the same thing my doctor put me on something called reglan and my milk came back in twice the amount it was before
    Anonymous