Should I use a child harness for my 3year old who keeps running off?

My 3 year old is 41lbs and a bit big for a stroller and he won't alway hold hands or stay nearby and has run off in a small store and into a crowd at a fair. Yeah, I explain what is expected, give time outs, chase after him, but he feels the chasing is a game.

crystaljedi

Asked by crystaljedi at 11:20 PM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Yes I would use one! Better to be safe than sorry.
    caglecruz06

Answer by caglecruz06 at 11:21 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I have a three year old son and I use one all the time. I could careless what anyone says. He is comfy, likes it, I can keep up with him and he has freedom to move. I say go for it!
    Allison

Answer by Allison at 11:23 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• ya my only thing about it is when u see moms tug back...
    i think it looks a lot better if you attatch the handle to your pants or your hip...so it doesnt look like your walking a dog
    Anonymous

• Some talking to explain dangers of running off would be helpful as if you haven't already probably talked your own ears off but I think they are wonderful. Good luck and God bless
    wondermommy5

Answer by wondermommy5 at 11:25 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Absolutely, it is fine to use it. Eventually, he will learn how to walk with you.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 11:32 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Yep.
    comfycouch

Answer by comfycouch at 11:44 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I haven't had to use mine yet but I will when the time comes!

If you don't want to, here are some other safety ideas I've come across:
    - Teach the child to use a whistle and give it to he when you enter a store. He can blow it if lost or scared.
    - Teach the child to sit down and stay put as soon as he realizes he is lost - YOU will find him.
    - Teach him what the workers in the stores you frequent wear and that it's OK to ask one of them for help. A second option is to find another mommy WITH CHILDREN and ask for help.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:17 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Safety first. They would'nt sell them if they were not helpful. Do it and he will learn not to run away, good luck!!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 12:26 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• absoulutely. i've been there, chasing my kids through stores. its so much easier with the harness.
    princezzmommie

Answer by princezzmommie at 12:44 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• Yes!! They have really cute ones at walmart that look like backpacks in the shape of animals. I use one that looks like a monkey, and the tail is the "leash"
    PurpleNurples

Answer by PurpleNurples at 1:05 AM on Jul. 16, 2008