When your Kids are taken by CPS, how long does it usually take to get them back in Indiana?

This girl I know had her Kids taken away last week when she got arrested for Child Neglect. She claims that the charges were false. Well she has this false notion that she's going to get her Kids right away like, next week. How long does this take so I can give this chick a reality check? She thinks she'll have them back by Christmas.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Oct. 4, 2011 in General Parenting

• I think it would be different with everyone....not sure though. If she was neglecting them then they are better off not with her though.
    LoViNmYbAbIeSs

Answer by LoViNmYbAbIeSs at 11:43 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• If the allegations are true then it will take a long long time to get them back. Court process, her taking parenting classes, drug and alcohol testing.... if they are false she can get them back pretty quickly, BUT CPS usually doesn't remove kids on a false allegation.

amazinggrace83

Answer by amazinggrace83 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• can't say I have any specific experience with this, but if they went so far as to arrest her, I doubt if she'd be able to get them back that easily
    ItsMe89

Answer by ItsMe89 at 11:43 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• Depends. If she has family member that could take them while they sort out her issues, they will let them go to them within a few days to a week.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:44 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• No! She won't! She will have to prove alot to cps over a long period of time! I know cases like this,it is always for the welfare of the kids! At the earliest she might get them back in 12 months!! She needs to get her life in order and figure out why she got them taken away in the first place! If there is any chance that this will happen again,she won't get the kids back!
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 11:45 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• I don't know about Indiana, but in our area there isn't a quick return. Also, there needs to be 3 individual reports for them to go in and investigate for neglect (again in our area) so I have hard time believing that she was arrested with out some sort of evidence.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 11:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• It's really going to depend a lot on the specifics of the case. There are cases where the kids are returned quickly and others where it takes a long time.

Why do you feel you need to give her a reality check? Just listen to her and be there for her. I am sure that once she gets into this and trying to get them back they will give her a timeframe on the soonest she could get her kids back.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• One of my SIL had hers taken but here in Texas and she had them back and her case closed within a year! she had the same charges but she busted her butt to get them back
    SkylaReneeMom

Answer by SkylaReneeMom at 11:47 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• sounds like the court has taken temporary custody. she has to go to court to get them back. they will tell her what the requirements are - probably some parenting classes. i have seen kids taken who should not have been as well as kids left that should have been taken. sometimes the system also works the way it's supposed to. she should get a public defender if needed. she should ask as many questions as she needs to until she has answers.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:50 AM on Oct. 4, 2011

• Thanks for the answers.i am so disgusted by the whole situation, Im about to be done w her.I know they don't just take Kids for nothing.Theres a good reason.She calls me with high hopes"oh im getting them back next week the CPS worker says" and in my mind im saying "no youre not.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:04 PM on Oct. 4, 2011