fake coughing ?

My daughter is 7 months old. Around 4 months or so she started fake coughing because she realized it got her attention. She stopped doing that after about a month and a half when she realized the fake ones did not get attention anymore. So now the last week or so she has been doing what sound like very dry fake coughs... more like she is choking. Is it something to be concerned about, I wonder if maybe there is something kind of stuck in there drying her throat... or is it just her faking again for attention ?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It could be a fake cough but then again it could be something more. I would get it checked but be prepared to find out that it is probably just fake. I would hate for you not to get it checked and it be something more.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 9:04 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• OMG, my son did the same thing. He found out his cough would get my attention fast. He still had the cough for 2 more months. He is now almost 8 months old now. This started when he was about 5 mo. old. The Doc. and agreed that is was reflux. A baby can have reflux and does not have to spit up. The acid only comes up as far as the throat. He is on zantac two times a day and has not coughed much since. It took a couple of days to notice a differnce. Ask the Pediatritian.
    Anonymous

• Darn, thats tough =\ My daughter fake coughs too, and when she started doing it I was worried I wouldn't know if she was really sick..But I don't know what to tell you...I guess if I was really concerned I would take her to the doctor
    SandraB383

Answer by SandraB383 at 9:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• She's fine. Both my kids do that and no matter how frustrated it makes me, they think it's hilarious. As they got older, they discovered new sounds to make mommy freak out. she's probably just experimenting with her vocal chords.
    fallenruby

Answer by fallenruby at 9:08 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• could be allergies. My husband and I have them, and so does our son. Check w/ your doctor, to make sure its nothing serious but a fake cough.
    Momma_Neko

Answer by Momma_Neko at 9:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My daughter does this, she is 5 1/2 months. I think she's just experimenting with her voice. I asked the pediatrician, though, and I recommend you mention it to yours at your next visit. I'm sure on occasion it could actually mean something.
    MommyJanelle

Answer by MommyJanelle at 9:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009