Is there anything you can do if your neighbor's dog keeps on barking 24/7 and doesn't let you sleep at night?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:03 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Pets

• Go over and talk to them friendly-like see if they can bring the dog inside or put it in a kennel at night. If they don't respond them make a noise complaint I think you would call the non emergency police number.
    Anonymous

• I have had this problem before. I first talked to the neighbor (which was very difficult b/c they didn't speak any english), and I let them know if it continues I will be calling the cops to report the noise disturbance. Worked, no more barking dog.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I wanted to call the cops too but my hubby says its just an animal and he doubts there going to do anything to them. I also wanted to go talk to the nighbors first but i'm not sure what neighbor is it with that annoying dog...
    Anonymous

• I would call your local police station and file a noise complaint for excessive barking.

We have a dog in our neighborhood that barks a lot and it's really annoying, especially in the morning. We haven't called the cops because the dog is not outdoors 24/7.

I dont' get it though. I always hear when my dog barks outside and I'm immediately by the door trying to see what she is barking at. I don't leave her outside to continue barking, because it's rude to my neighbors. I don't know, maybe more pet owners need manners training ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Well, we have had this problem for almost 3 years now!!! Our first step was to go and talk to them only to get..."Our dog doesnt bark! I dont know what you are talking about! And then called me all sorts of names."  I am a SAHM and I can see their backyard from on my back deck and can physically see the dog bark literally ALL night long! So we started calling the non-emergency police line every time it happened (even they could hear the dog)! Eventually they came by our house in the morning and asked if I would like to sign a citation. So it ends up in small court---essentially myself and my other neighbor against them and their barking dog!   cont......

MooreClanMom

Answer by MooreClanMom at 9:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• So we win the case and she has to pay a fine for each of the three citations from us totalling $300. She was told she could appeal and funny......no more letters from the court and no more barking dog!!

Now, I love animals, especially dogs and wouldn't wish this on anyone. BUT in this case enough was enough! All night long every night and it was keeping my kids awake or it would wake them in the middle of the night.

So there is a light at the end of the tunnel for you. Just hang in there and be persistant! Oh and log it on a calendar when and how long the dog barks cause if you do end up where we did......it pretty much makes your case!!!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU

Anonymous

• Our neighbor lady gets uber pissy at the moment any dog barks in our neighborhood at any time of day. She has called and emailed owners to let them know that their dog kept her awake at night. She recently came over with her dog's shock collar and nicely suggested that we put it on our big dog b/c she's just convienced our dog is barking during the night. I informed her that our dog has been in his kennel in the garage at night since the weather turned cold. It wasn't OUR dog b/c I hear it sometimes too. We kept the collar but never used it. I'm also very good about shushing my dogs or bringing them inside whenever they bark...like at the CAT that hangs around our area. My advice...find the exact source first then nicely ask them to keep their dogs quiet between certain hours of the night (11pm-6am). If they fail to do so after a week and document it, then involve the police. GL
    liltymesmom

Answer by liltymesmom at 10:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Ugh I hate neighbors with dogs. Irresponsible dog owners, I should clarify lol :) My DH gets off work around 2 am. This is the exact time our ex-neighbors would let their dogs out, for the remainder of the day. I swear, they would wait for the headlights to pull up & those dogs would be out the door. It didn't help their property line ended smack up against our house, and the dogs would stand out there all day barking right beside the window. Literally, right beside. If I tried to open the window, the dogs would have gotten bonked on the nose! And we had just had the baby, so it would wake HIM up!!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:58 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• con't from above
    Thankfully we moved, oh and once they got a ticket because their dog jumped the fence and started growling at me, in my own yard. I called animal control and he wanted to let them off with a warning, but I was adamant that this dog showed aggression to me and my new baby, and they needed to fix their fence (which they admited they knew!) Anyway, sorry about your trouble, I got off on a rant for a minute there :)
    Anonymous

• Call your local police dept to see what the laws are for barking dogs. My SIL got a couple complaints about her dog when she moved to a new house. She found out that after a few complaints she would be fined! It might take a few times calling to complain, but you and your family need sleep too!
    nvedwards

Answer by nvedwards at 1:53 AM on Jan. 4, 2009