What is "sorry" to you? Please answer this.

Do you think if a person keeps doing something (anything) on purpose for their own selfishness numerous times even though the FIRST time they KNEW it was wrong, knew how it made you feel, you TOLD them not to do it again but they have continued to over and over and they always say "sorry" every time they do it. Do you really think someone is sorry for something they knew not to do before hand and did it anyway many times after that? I always thought if you are TRULY sorry you wouldn't be doing it in the first place after already knowing this. Can you really be sorry for something if you keep doing it? Please give me a yes or no answer and you can add your reasons too. This is something my DH and I are disagreeing on.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:07 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Relationships

• I totally agree with you. if you were genuinely sorry you wouldn't keep doing the same thing over and over again.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think the same thing as you do....but try and imagine something that you've done that hurt someone you care about...was it malicious or did you just do a stupid thing? If the person keeps repeating the same stupid thing..I guess you can really be sorry for something you keep doing...the person may just need some help to stop doing it. Like when I had to quit smoking, I kept smoking even though I knew better and felt so horrible for continuing to do so...my husband helped me quit and I kicked the bad habit. It could be one of those type of things.

Anonymous

• You are correct, now why are you falling for it? It's time to man up and move on!
    Anonymous

• Saying sorry doesn't mean a thing in my house when it comes to my DH. He's an alcoholic and has been saying "sorry" for 20+ years. He has his good days and his bad. But when he's behaving badly and says he's sorry after the fact it doesn't mean a thing anymore and hasn't for a very long time. Actions speak louder than words and for once I'd like to receive an apology and have it followed up with apologetic actions...you know what I mean? Other wise it's not sincere.
    Anonymous

• I completely agree that if you say your sorry you must have the actions to back up your apology.
    Anonymous

• An apology is regretting that you did something and promising to do better next time. Other than that, just saying you're sorry without changing the behavior is not an apology.

Answer by Bmat at 9:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• No you are not sorry for your action if you continue to do it over and over. It's like if I came up to you and just repeatedely kicked you in your shin but said sorry after I did it each time, did I mean the apology? NOPE!
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 9:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I was always told that a person can make a million mistakes can be forgiven, just as so they don't keep making the same mistake. If the person is doing it over and over it not a mistake. you keep forgiving and accepting apologies and the feel it's ok so they can do it again. Harden your heart, and you'll not be troubled
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you are sorry for something you did, then you shouldn't keep doing it over and over again. I have this same conversation with my husband all the time.
    TammyG.

Answer by TammyG. at 11:26 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I'm on the fence, because I don't know what it is they're saying they're sorry for. I get mad and lose my temper and yell at my daughter and I tell her how wrong it was of me to yell, and that I'm sorry and I do mean it but I get mad and yell again (it's not a daily thing). If you cheat and you're sorry, then you won't allow yourself to get in that sitation again if you trully are sorry that it ever happened. If I curse and apologize and 10 minutes later I say that word again and apologize, I still meant it the second time too, it's habit so it's hard to change overnight. But if you are trully sorry you'll try to not do it again but doesn't mean it won't happen.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 11:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009