How old is too old to still be breastfeeding?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:12 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in General Parenting

• IMO over 12 months, or whenever they get teeth ouch!
    Anonymous

• I think 2 is old enough during the day but at bedtime I believe 3 is the limit.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 9:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• well your going to get a whole lot of opinons on this one lol....my personal opinon is when your child can ask to breastfeed it's time to give it up.....lol I had planned on breastfeeding for the first year but couldn't due to complications...that's just my opinon i'm not here to judge
    luvsgriffin

Answer by luvsgriffin at 9:14 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Every person and every child is different. My daughter will turn 2 in 2 weeks and she just stopped almost 2 weeks ago.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• This is just my personal opinion, but I think 12 months is old enough.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 9:16 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• What ever age it is when they demand it by pulling your breast out of your blouse.
    Anonymous

• Like most people have said I really think it is up to the person. If you comfortable breast feeding a child that is older then that is your choice. I am not sure that anyone can tell what is to old you have to make the decision for yourself.

I breast feed my children for 4 months.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 9:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• on 20/20 last this lady was still breastfeeding her 6 year old son and this girl was almost 7 or 8 and was stil breastfeeding.
    Anonymous

• I'm with pp...I'm not here to judge so whatever you feel works for you is what you should do. I had to stop nursing my first son at 4 months and my 2nd at 7 months due to complications and the medications I had to be on. I also agree that when they start to ask or demand the breast...it's time to stop. Maybe pump your milk and offer it in a bottle or a cup....JMO
    happy2bme7

Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Hmm, there are many different opinions, but someone please tell me, how does being able to ask for food make one too old for food?

As to the original question; teeth having nothing to do with it. If you know how to breast feed you know how to deal with teeth. The answer depends on the child, the mother, the family dynamic, the work / stay home situation. It's up to you and your child; and no one else!
    peachqpti

Answer by peachqpti at 9:21 PM on Jan. 3, 2009