fallimg asleep alone

When dud your child start falling asleep pn his own? My 3y/o doesnt fall asleep unless daddy or me is laying with him.

Saved_by_GOD

Asked by Saved_by_GOD at 9:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• 4-5 months with all 3 kids.
    Anonymous

• Mine were the same as anon, 4-5 months old. I always layed them down before they were all the way asleep.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:22 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My daughter has been going through "phases" she used to sleep perfectly fine by herself... pretty much since birth! Now all of a sudden she has to sleep in bed EVERY night by my side... other wise she will wake up constantly throughout the night screaming... she is 3 years old! So if you find the "cure" for sleeping peacefully at night! Please inform me! lol*
    ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 9:27 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• OMG I think you might want to try to "Ferberizing" him. Falling asleep on their own is one of the most important things you can help teach a child. At three years old this could be a tough job. It's a whole lot easier when they are younger. It may be brutal but you need to let him try to fall asleep on his own. Let him cry it out , but make sure you make his room extra safe and maybe put a gate at the entrance so he can't leave his room. Get into a bedtime routine that may include a bath to relax him, one story and a kiss and a tuck of the sheets and say goodnight. end of story! It may take hours for him to stop crying, but he will eventually. Each night it will get shorter and shorter. Make sure you praise him in the morning for sleeping in his own bedroom all night. He will begin to realize he's a big boy and will be sleeping soundly in no time at all.

good luck
    Anonymous

• Pretty much from birth.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 9:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• At 3, why do they need to fall asleep on their own? Some children need more security than others, and it would be best for the child to let them determine when they are ready to take the next step to independence...yes, this can be frustrating for the parents, but what part of parenting isn't? Suddenly, we find ourselves having to slow down and put someone else's needs ahead of our own desires, including sleep. IMO, let your child decide when they are ready to fall asleep on their own. Don't worry, it will happen.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• When they were babies. They've always fallen asleep on their own but we were never in the habit of rocking them to sleep or anything. They were usually laying on the floor or in their crib/bassinet/what have you and would just fall asleep whenever. My 2yo will put herself to bed now when she's tired, lol. She tells me "I'm going to bed, night," then turns off her light, shuts her door, gets in bed (there's enough light coming in the window to see) and pulls her blankets around and falls right to sleep.
    My friend used to lie with her dd when she was a baby/toddler to get her to sleep and was still doing it at 7 and was desperate for it to end but her dd refused to sleep unless there was someone in the bed with her and it took her 2 hours to fall asleep. It was crazy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:33 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Ferberize!!! Lay him down alone in his own bed with a routine of first reading a book or after a bath. When he starts crying go in after 5mins give a reassuing rub on the back and leave, next time wait 10min, then 15min... Then before you have to go in again he may be asleep or you may have to do it longer, just always extend it in 5min increments. Worked with both my girls! It's normal healthy development for a child to self sooth. It won't be easy, will likely take a week but worth it, think of the healthly independance he'll gain & the sleep you will get! Good Luck!
    carrie1218

Answer by carrie1218 at 1:55 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• ALL OF MY KIDS SLEPT AONE FROM DAY ONE... I DECIDED THAT CO SEEPING WAS NOT A HABIT I WANTED TO START..... ON SOME OCCASIONS WE WOULD HAVE A "SLEEP OVER" USUALLY IF ONE WAS SICK.. ( THE OTHER GIRLS SAID IT "WASNT FAIR" IF THAT ONE KID GOT TO SLEEP WITH ME) OR IF THERE WAS A STORM I WOULD LET THEM ALL JUMP INTO MY BED... OPEN THE BLINDS SO WE COULD SEE THE SNOW FALL... AND SNUGGLE UP TOGETHER.... I LOVE IT AND I PLAN TO HAVE "SLEEP OVERS" WITH THEM UNTI THEY ARE MARRIED AND REFUSE TO DO IT ANYMORE...
    3Grlz1AngelzMom

Answer by 3Grlz1AngelzMom at 10:49 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Okay, rather than "ferberizing", try something more gentle called the Interruption method. Follow/start a routine that includes reading or singing. Sitting with your child, suddenly remember that you "forgot something" and tell your child, "I'll be right back." Leave the room and then come back. Do this repeatedly, each time leaving the room for longer and longer periods (I would sometimes ask my son if he wanted his door opened or closed while I was out so he had a bit of "control" over the situation). After a couple of days, you won't be leaving nearly as often and each trip out will be longer and longer. Eventually, your child will fall asleep as he waits for you. Also, when I leave, I would give my son a hair clip to play with - this way he had something of me. I would listen to him click it while he waited, and when the clicking stopped, I knew he was asleep.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 12:21 PM on Jan. 4, 2009