Am I drying up so soon?

My milk only came in about 48 hrs ago, and I have been soaking wet leaking all over the place since then, engorged, and all that good stuff. Should I be worried that I stopped leaking completely? I last nursed about 2 hrs ago, but I've been pouring down my shirt usually within an hour. I haven't leaked in probably 4 hrs or so. Is this normal? Or should I be happy?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:17 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Normal! How your breasts "feel", how they look, if they leak or not, are not signs of having enough milk. Some moms never get engorged and/or leak and have plenty of milk. Some moms are engorged and/or leak in the beginning but soon hormones stabilize. Even if your breasts feel "soft" you can still have plenty of milk.
    I disagree with the pumping and freezing milk now. That is an easy way to end up with an oversupply of milk, which can cause all kinds of problems. Just nurse your baby frequently (a minimum of 8-12 times in 24 hours) and your body will learn to make just the right amount!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• be happy :) it's normal for your body to adjust
    flutterfae

Answer by flutterfae at 9:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• At first you will make more than enough milk for baby and then it will regulate to what the baby is eating so you are probably not drying up your probably slowing down and only producing what the baby can eat. If you want to keep a good supply of milk up I would pump and freeze it that way when your baby wants more then you have then he/she will still be getting breastmilk.
    proudmom2x

Answer by proudmom2x at 9:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It's normal, be happy. At some point, you won't leak at all anymore. I was so excited the first night I slept through the night w/o leaking. it's just your body adjusting.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:34 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Your supply is adjusting to your baby's needs. Be happy!
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• no...dont be worried, get nursing pads if you dont have any yet!

LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2009