I have a thumb sucker

I can not stop my six year old Daughter from sucking her thumb she usually does it at night when its time for bed. Its driving me nuts because she has lost her teeth in the front and her perm teeth are starting to grow in and they could come in crooked which I am afraid of and its not like braces are cheap! I have tried everything the taking toys away,hot sauce, special nail polish to prevent it etc....

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:19 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Even at almost 30 I will still suck my thumb if I am tired or upset about something. It is a habit I have tried to break and my parents tried hard to break.

I really have no advice for you, because nothing ever worked for me. Explain to her how it looks, and offer a reward if she quits. Good Luck!!
    Anonymous

• 6 isn't that young! Two children in our Family were none Blood Related did thsi! A Girl 'til 10!! I was her Fav. Auntie so I bribed her with fun Gifts & Auntie time! I don't know if that Helped? A Nephew We caught him on Christmas Eve doing it & he was 15 & Very inteligent! But it made him Happy/Content?? Just Bribes/ Gifts I Guess! Or something else to pacify her! Good Luck! It will happen... Be patient! It could be A lot worse....
    Anonymous

• I wont lie, I sucked my thumb till I was 20... That is VERY embarrassing to admit, but my teeth grew in just fine. My dentist even thought that I had braces at one point Hand to God! I think there is stuff that you can put on her thumb to will taste nasty, but I would wash it off. It was a huge comfort thing, when I was tired or really upset. It took me getting my tong pierced to stop, seeing how she is 6 I SOO do not see that as a useful solution... I bet she will out grow it.
    Anonymous

• My six year old does it too. We have tried to break her, but it hasn't worked. The girls go to a dentist that specializes in children and her assistant told me that if she doesn't stop there is a thing that looks kind of like a retainer that they put behind the teeth. It makes it to where they can't suck the thumb. Another dentist told me that it doesn't cause crooked teeth, which I don't know if I believe. I am not sure how much it costs to get that put in their mouth, but I am sure it is cheaper than braces.
    GermanGirl1974

Answer by GermanGirl1974 at 12:54 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• My DH and I both sucked our thumbs, and neither of us have crooked teeth or had to have braces!!!!!!! If you ignore the problem then she is more likly to stop, and if she doesn't don't worry about that either, the crooked teeth is a wives tale.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 1:02 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• When I was pregnant with my daughter, I had an ultra sound and on the screen my daughter was sucking her thumb!  I never believed in using a pacifier and had no problem with my daughter sucking her thumb when she needed the comfort.  When my daughter was 10 I took her to an orthodontist had a device installed in her mouth to prevent her to suck her thumb.  The device cost $500 was in her mouth for six Mont's.  Once the device was removed, a month later my daughter started sucking her thumb again.  Well, she is now 15 still sucks her thumb when sleeping or if she is upset.  I have learned to just let it be.  The more I focused on the thumb sucking the more she wanted to suck.

mommiedear

Answer by mommiedear at 1:19 PM on Jan. 4, 2009

• When I was little i used to suck my thumb as well, and now my almost 7 year old does it now as well. I can NOT get him to stop! To get me to stop my parents got their hands on this nasty tasting stuff they used to paint on my thumb. It really did work, but when I was reading about it online, "experts" don't recommend doing that. It wasn't toxic or anything, but I guess since they are old enough they can just wash it off. I know the stuff my parents used I couldn't LOL. Most people suggest positive reinforcement and so on, but to be quite honest, NOTHING is working for my boy. I'm just about to break down and put something on his thumb.

KrystleShaw2007

Answer by KrystleShaw2007 at 3:41 PM on Jan. 4, 2009