Why is my my 11 month-old now screaming at bedtime?

Here's a little background information. Our son has been sleeping through the night since he was about 5 months, except for teething, growth spurts, etc. If he wakes during the night we do an amended version of the Ferber Method. (I can't let him cry it out if it's beyond 5 minutes, just too heartbreaking for me!). Luckily, he usually settles back down within 3 minutes. Two weeks ago he got his first bad cold and, of course, that meant extra rocking, cuddles and no Ferber. He seems completely healthy now and for 3 nights we had been back in the old routine with no problem.

...but for 2 nights in a row now he's started to push me away as soon as he finishes his bottle and just starts SCREAMING! And I do mean screaming! He pushes me away with his feet and hands so it's hard to even hold onto him. I've tried walking with him and he continues to scream and push me away. ( During his naptime he will sort of push/ turn his head from me and give a little fuss to let me know he's ready for his crib so I will put him in and he will then fall right asleep, but this is very different from the naptime fuss). I thought maybe he was extremely tired so his response was a little more severe than at naptime, but when I put him in the crib he screams even louder. My husband and I both have tried to comfort him and he just continues to scream. I don't know what could be wrong, he doesn't sound congested, he's got no temperature and doesn't seem to have any teeth coming in. His naps are still totally normal, only nighttime seems to cause the "crazy cat scream" as I now call it. What can I do to help him if he doesn't want me or my husband?

newmama1301

Asked by newmama1301 at 8:12 PM on Oct. 4, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can't always see when they are teething. And some of them are SO painful. Maybe try a warm lavender bath before bed and that might take away some of the stress. Or reading a book.
    momdays

Answer by momdays at 8:30 PM on Oct. 4, 2011

• MY 11 month old is cutting quite a few teeth and screams a bit while I give her the bottle. I can only imagine the pain that comes from the pressure of sucking the formula out of the bottle. She also was sleeping through the night prior to the past couple weeks. I have no problem rocking her back to sleep while she is in pain. I have also given her baby (Walgreens brand) acetaminophen to help her through the pain at night. I also try to give her a bath to help her relax right before bed.
    autstruck

Answer by autstruck at 3:11 AM on Oct. 5, 2011

• Its so hard when you have a screaming baby you cant calm. My grandson got eczema head to toe at around 10 months and there were nights he was miserable. We were all miserable. We found out he has many allergies. He just turned 3 and still has eczema but not as bad. Sometimes car rides will work. Music worked well with my grandson. I found out if I turned on music videos on youtube it would distract him, he would want to watch, stop crying and eventually fall asleep. He doesn't like kids videos, he likes soft rock - Jack Johnson, James Blunt, Train, Owl City (Fireflies). Sometimes my son (his father) would sit in the recliner and just hold him until he cried himself to sleep. It broke our hearts. I hope your little one does better soon.
    Gailll

Answer by Gailll at 1:30 PM on Oct. 5, 2011

• UPDATE: Now he screams for naptime as well! Still no teeth seem to be cutting and he's completely cold-free. He's even getting very fussy if I try to hold him just for a cuddle during the day. Is this some sort of normal developmental milestone? I'm now worried that the Ferber method has hurt him on some social/emotional level and he hates affection.
    newmama1301

Comment by newmama1301 (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Oct. 17, 2011