I feel like I'm doing EVERYTHING wrong! *ugh*

I'm only 4 days post-partum, so I guess I just have the baby blues. But I feel like I cannot do anything right according to what you're "supposed" to do... She likes to sleep for long periods of time, and I like my sleep too, so I don't wake her up at night to feed her. I do during the day though. And then I feel like I'm not feeding her enough, but she's not giving me any signals. Grr. I have been trying to feed her every couple of hours today, but I just think I've ruined my milk supply already...I've got soo many anxieties about being a new mommy. It's killing me...
Any help out there?

srhmldndo

Asked by srhmldndo at 9:31 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all accept the fact that somewhere along the line you are going to screw up royally. You are going to make some mistakes and no one is perfect. There is no "supposed to do" when it comes to being a mom. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. You do what works for you and what feels right. If the baby is sleeping then she is tired and needs to be sleeping. If she is hungry then she will let you know. Babies are cool like that. They know how much food they need. You could just be one of those lucky people that have a sleeping through the night kind of kid... you lucky girl you. If you are really really worried you could always call your doctor and ask. Relax! You will get the hang of this I promise. By this time next year when she is tearing up your house and flushing everything down the toilet you will laugh at yourself. Now go enjoy your baby. If you need to talk you can PM me.
    GraciesMommy25

Answer by GraciesMommy25 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you're baby is sleeping, let her sleep. Babies will eat when they're hungry, and believe me, she'll let you know. During the day, i would say around every 2 hours if she's awake. if she's asleep, just let her sleep and feed her when she wakes. It's all just new and a bit overwhelming. You'll be fine and before you know it, you'll be a pro!
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 9:33 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I never woke mine up to feed. If they were hungry they let me know and I fed them then. That is what my ped told me to do too. Take a deep breath, I am sure you are doing just fine. As long as she is gaining weight you will be just fine.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 9:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• It's hard and it doesn't get easier for a while. Do you have any support? anyone there helping you out? Make sure you tell you're doctor how you're feeling when you go for her check up. Sounds like you may have PPD. Just breathe, take it easy, you're doing fine. set your alarm for midnight and get up and feed her, she'll be happy and you'll make yourself feel better.
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 9:35 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Your milk supply will increase as she nurses more. Your fears and worries are perfectly normal. If the little one were hungry, she'd let you know. If she is sleeping that well she must not be hungry during those times. Your anxiety is probably due to hormonal changes as well as the new experience of being a mom. You'll do fine. Please give the baby an extra hug from me. :)

Answer by Bmat at 9:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• As long as she has wet diapers she is getting enough to eat. She just made a HUGE trip and this is all very new to her. Newborns sleep 90%% of the time. She will become more alert when she grows a little older. I've never woken my kids up to eat, just let her sleep. If you're concerned about your supply you can pump.
    Anonymous

• Take a deep breath. Now exhale. Everything is going to be ok. Babies sleep a lot during the first week. You milk supply will be fine, just nurse as she demands, your body will compensate for her appetite. Has your milk actually come in yet? It takes a few days after birth for the milk to come in. Anyway, if you are concerned about your milk supply, just let her nurse a little longer after the let down has come and gone.
    It will be okay, I didn't even nurse my twins until they were four days old and we did just great for about two years. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• i know it's hard, but try to stop worring you! Stressing out just makes it worse. It's not going to hurt your baby to under feed her for a few days. Once you get to the ped. for the first visit, they will let you now if she's gaining right or not. My dd went for 2 weeks without gaining enough weight so then she went on formula, but the doc wanted to keep trying the breastfeeding first. Also, your milk supply should be fine. I went 3 feeds w/o breastfeeding and it didn't hurt my milk supply at all. Actually, it helped me alot b/c I was in so much pain and having hubby formula feed for the night gave my breasts time to recover so it didn't hurt as bed. The doc said not to worry about it b/c the milk supply isn't going to dry up over night or just a few days.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 9:37 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• #1 CALM DOWN!!!! You are doing great! When baby comes home in the beginning it is a sleep fest, one in which you will pray for later. Again calm down! Feed baby as you have today, wake baby and feed baby. Make sure you wait 4 hours, in between feedings, if you have to wake baby, if not follow baby's cues. You have not ruined your supply, please get that out of your head. If you follow baby's cue you two will be perfect!!! You two are going to be great! If you ever need any help or encouragement I would be more than happy.  Hang in there and follow baby's cues.  You are an amazing mother!

mama_l

Answer by mama_l at 9:39 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Count her wet/dirty diapers . . . she should have 6-8 wet diapers a day . . . this will tell you if she is getting enough.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 9:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2009