Credit Card

My fiance and I are wanting to get a credit card...we dont have much credit yet and we want a low apr...whats the best kind to get

MiasMommy6908

Asked by MiasMommy6908 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Shopping

• I had Capital One as my first credit card. I have never had any problems with them.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:46 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I work in this industry. What My husband and I did to start out was to get whatever credit card we could, and through our bank was the easiest. Then we used the card as an ATM, keeping track of the balance, so as not to over spend, then paid them off EVERY MONTH. This created a revolving balance and shot our credit scores up. The want to see that you have open accounts that have balances and are being paid. I would strongly reccomend NOT getting a card together. There is no benefit to this. If you have no credit, usually your bank will give you one with a really low, restricted balance, or a prepaid balance. This is where you start. Just don't make the mistake everyone else makes by over spending!!! It takes most people 10 years to recover from high balances or sharing cards with people who abused it and left them with the balances.
    blowingsteam

Answer by blowingsteam at 9:54 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• If you want to build up your credit and decide to get a credit card and say the credit card is for
    $500.00 the most that you want to charge is like $150.00 then you want to pay it off right away if you charge more then that and have a charge balance on it then you will not get any credit built up because they will think you can't pay your bill and will max out your card. I think credit cards are bad news if you don't know how to use them and don't pay them off. My boyfriend has a credit card from capital one becasue we also wanted to build up are credit.. We thought is was a good idea but it is like you charge something and pay double the amount. So just be smart with it.
    andrea86160

Answer by andrea86160 at 11:55 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• My advice is to NOT get a credit card! You don't need a credit card unless your goal in life is to create debt. Please trust me on this, I have been on the bad side of debt and back. Create a budget and budget for the things that you want. If you know that you would like some new furniture, save for it. You do not need debt, nor do you need a "credit score" to buy a home. That is the main reason why people want to build credit is to get a home. You do not need it! What you need is a good down payment, a good work history, and find a bank that underwrites its own loans. They will see that you pay your rent on time and that you DON'T have debts and they will know that you are not at risk of defaulting. Read some books by Dave Ramsey, he addresses this issue specifically in The Total Money Makeover.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:44 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• He tells you how to buy a house without a "credit score". It is a quick easy read and its full of common sense. You can get it at the library. My husband and I will be completely debt free by the end of 2009, all of our credit cards are cut up and gone. We live on cash only, we are saving money to pay cash for our next new car, etc. Life is so much easier when the money you spend is your own and not someone else's. You probably won't take my advice though, young people want to learn the hard way. Lord knows, if I had listened to my own parents when they gave me this same advice, life would have been so much easier. If you don't take my advice, at least read the book. Then when you make all of the "normal" mistakes you will remember that someone did try to warn you. It's ok to not be "normal" though and keep yourself debt free. Good luck!
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 9:45 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Get the one with 0 APR for 12months. Pay it off before the 12month period comes.
    BloomingJen

Answer by BloomingJen at 1:26 PM on Jan. 7, 2009