What education is needed to be a preschool teacher?

Currently I have a Bachelors in Science (not Education)... but I would love to look into becoming a preschool teacher, does anyone know what other eduction requirements I need to become preschool teacher? Another Bachelors? Maybe an associates degree? Anyone have any insight for me?

cldetary

Asked by cldetary at 9:48 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Money & Work

• I depends on the state where you live. In some places you can take a certification test. Check with the DOE in your state.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I am in Michigan
    cldetary

Answer by cldetary at 9:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• You need a Bachelor's Degree and a few Certificates. If you go into DOE (add your state.com) you will be better informed. In NYC you must get a Master's Degree after 5 yrs.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I think you still have to have a teaching certificate. I'm a substitute teacher and you could easily do that with your education now...and it would give you good experience. I also learned during my experience subbing that I cant stand to be around that many young children...so if there is any way that you could get some experience in the classroom before you go through with the education, I would "test the waters" first.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• In my state you have to have 48 hours or more in an education feild and pass a test kinda like a sat....it is hard to get a job here..
    Momof3Squirts

Answer by Momof3Squirts at 10:40 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• http://www.workfamilysolutions.com/Job_Postings.htm#Preschool_Kalamazoo this has a few job posts in your state that give information on job requirements.. hope it helps.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:03 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Thanks for the advice so far! I am trying to search the DOE right now... as for kabbot01's answer... I am excited to work with young children, I have two years experience working as a co-op mom for my two daughter's preschool.
    cldetary

Answer by cldetary at 9:46 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Thanks for all your help!
    cldetary

Answer by cldetary at 2:35 PM on Jan. 6, 2009