Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I want to start breastfeeding again help...No bashing

I had to stop breastfeeding my son when he was 3 weeks old because he had moderate to severe acid reflux. It broke my heart and made me feel like a failure as a mother.He is almost 6 months old and he has almost grown it. I was wondering if it is even possible to try to breastfeed again? I don't want to confuse him and I don't know what people will think or if I even have support in this. I just wanted to experiance the bond of breastfeeding and I wanted him to get all the benifits of it. what would you do? is it even possible? Has anyone else went through anything like this??

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 9:53 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

Answers (4)
  • Yes you can do it, yes there are lots of benefits. Many moms adopt babies at 6 months, or older, and induce lactation and breastfeed.
    You will find a collection of articles and info on relactation at

    The best way to start is to try to get him to nurse again, usually comfort feeding comes first. Offer the breast toward the end of a bottle feeding. Your baby sucking at your breast will help to bring your milk back in.

    Answer by maggiemom2000 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • It's a wonderful bonding experience for you both and I think it's a special gift to your son to want to try again. Best of Luck : )

    Answer by happy2bme7 at 9:59 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • I think you should try! Mothers of adopted children can produce milk, so I'm sure you can start your body producing milk once again. Go to your local hospital and discuss this with a lactation consultant. Most hospitals offer free consultations and visits to see them. Best of luck!

    Answer by MommyJanelle at 10:18 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

  • There is also a medication out that builds up milk supply. It is supposed to be for stomach issues but doctors have found that it helps in teh milk department too. Talk to your doc or ped and if they don't support you, find someone else. You can do it! Go momma!

    Answer by zackkatiejames at 10:20 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.