How long would you cook chicken breast in the crock pot?

I am just going to put some BBQ sauce or chicken soup over it. How long? I was thinking 7-8 hours on low. Is that right?

saysmom

Asked by saysmom at 7:37 AM on Oct. 5, 2011 in Food & Drink

• That sounds about right. Are you using boneless, skinless or on the bone with skin because I have found boneless skinless get rubbery in the crock pot. The bones help keep the meat moist.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 8:03 AM on Oct. 5, 2011

• It kind of depends how big your crock pot is and how many breasts, and if they're bone-in or boneless. I have a 6qt, and if I put 6 boneless breasts in, they're done & falling apart after 6 hours on low.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:17 AM on Oct. 5, 2011

• For 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts not being used for a soup or stew I would put them on low for about 4 hours.All of my crockpot recipes that call for 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts have the time set at 3 1/2-4 1/2 hours on low (and that's with tomatoes and/or veggies added). They really won't take very long too cook so I wouldn't cook them for more than 4 hours on low. If you are using 6..maybe 5 or 6 hours, not sure though.
    Anonymous

• I use a meat thermometer to make sure its the right temp (165)... it has changed our lives here! haha no more over cooked chicken in our house!
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 5:43 PM on Oct. 5, 2011