I want to start breastfeeding again...please help and please no bashing

I had to quit breastfeeding my son when he was 3 weeks old because he had moderate to severe acid reflux. It broke my heart and made me feel like a failure as a mother. He is almost 6 months old and he has almost outgrown his acid reflux. I was wondering if it is even possible to try to breastfeed again? I don’t want to confuse him either. I don’t know what people would think or even if I have support in this. I just wanted to experience the bond of breastfeeding and I wanted my son to get all the benefits of it. What would you do? Is it even possible? Has anyone else went through something similar to this?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:05 PM on Jan. 3, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• The KellyMom website has a search tool you can use to locate a IBCLC (International Board Certified Lactation Consultant) - they are the ones you want to find. They go through a very rigorous training and have the most knowledge and experience. I'm sorry you were told to stop BF bc of your son's reflux! I don't think that it was necessary, but I'm definitely not bashing you. I have heard of women relactating, and even of adoptive moms inducing lactation. Breast milk is best for your baby for many reasons, and if you absolutely cannot relactate (which I'm sure you can!) then you can always try to find a milk donor.
    MamaSueCongdon

Answer by MamaSueCongdon at 5:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2009

• Relactation is possible, but it isn't always easy. I would try putting your baby to the breast and see if he will take it. Also, get a good pump if you don't have one already and use it often. You can read more about how to go about relactating here:
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/adopt/relactation-resources.html#linksrelactation
    sarahmae3

Answer by sarahmae3 at 10:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• I got pills to increase my milk supply, but I still had some, I dont know if they bring it back after it is gone...I would ask a doctor or call your local WIC office/Health department,
    Mikayla_lynn

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 10:10 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• lol sorry I didn't know I posted this question twice....oopsie....
    Anonymous

• As long as you still have breasts, it's possible!

Answer by gdiamante at 10:50 PM on Jan. 3, 2009

• Who told you to stop breastfeeding because your baby had reflux? If it was your doctor, I would promptly find another doctor. That's great that you want to try breastfeeding again. I do believe you can relactate. I would speak with a lactation consultant. The La Leche League also has a terrific website and lots of support in the forums. Good luck!
    LaurLaur623

Answer by LaurLaur623 at 11:36 PM on Jan. 3, 2009